Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1982 Honda Goldwing gl1100 interstate the issue is the front wheel does not want to spin free it feels like the brake are locked up. so I had new brake hoses made rebuilt both front calipers with new seals new brakes front and back and rebuilt front master cylinder with new seals and piston flushed out all of the old brake fluid and used dot 3 like it says to use. the wheel now spins better but still does not spin easy like it should if I take off the brake calipers the wheel spins just fine. any ideas on what to do so I can get this? I don't think there is still air in the system I bleeded it a ton of times.

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
It sounds like the caliper is bound up. It should float on the pins. Do the pins slide nice and easy. They might well be corroded. Need to be cleaned and lubed...Both below must move freely on both front calipers.

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,509 Posts
There will always be some brake drag but not much. Loosen the bleeders and see if there is any residual pressure.

·
Administrator
24,509 Posts
if i loosen them fluid shots out
Then probably the return hole in the master cylinder is plugged. It is a tiny hole in the bottom of what looks like a blind hole in the MC. I use a single wire pulled out of a wire brush to clean them out.

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
Seeing you were just working in there it is possible the issue might be that the piston on the master cylinder is not returning home all the way. If this happens you block the return hole with the piston or cup. Either way the fluid can not return to the reservoir and will keep the brakes on.
How hard doesthe wheel turn after a brake application? How bad did the fluid squirt out of the caliper?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The master cylinder was rebuilt with new piston and seals i cleaned the tiny hope with a wire from a wire brush. I also put brake fluid on the piston and in the hole it goes in to. When i open the brake caliper bleeders fluid shots like about a foot lots of presser and the front wheel spins slow with well not spin all the way around before it stops

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The master cylinder was rebuilt with new piston and seals i cleaned the tiny hope with a wire from a wire brush. I also put brake fluid on the piston and in the hole it goes in to. When i open the brake caliper bleeders fluid shots like about a foot lots of presser and the front wheel spins slow with well not spin all the way around before it stops
Wheel does not spin all the way around before it stops i would say it spins less then hafe way around

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
When you rebuilt the calipers did you inspect the O-Ring groove for corrosion in the bottom of the groove?? I used a brass dental pick to clean the corrosion in mine and there was quite a bit!! More than enough to keep the piston from floating like it should when the brakes are released!! You might want to pull one of the calipers off and check....

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
I don't think you have an issue. I was thinking you had to force the wheel to make it spin at all. Real easy test. Take it for a short ride. Stop and check the rotors for heat. Then keep going further and futher. I bet the rotors never get hot. That is unless you use the brakes hard. Caliper seals with a square cross section (Quad ring) make the pistons retract more than the seals with a round cross section. (O-Ring)

·
Premium Member
5,649 Posts
The top seals have like a opening in them once they r installed kind of like a reservoir to hold fluid?
Not sure what you are referring to.
Why not take it for a ride and see if the brakes get warm? If you can spin the wheel and it coast 1/2 turn that is pretty much normal if you ask me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts