Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I made the mistake of hitting the starter button last week while in gear, without holding in the clutch. The bike lurched forward (but luckily did not go down!)

I'm guessing that there are safety switches that are not working or that the PO bypassed. Can someone help me to locate these switches & to troubleshoot the problem?

Thank you in advance!

PS: I have not located a wiring diagram for my '82 Aspencade. If someone has one and wants to share, I would greatly appreciate that! I do have the PDF repair manuals for the bike, however.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Since my diagram is for an 84, there may be some differences in that circuit but I doubt it. The starter solenoid has + applied to it's coil through the handlebar kill switch and ignition switches in series. The ground however comes from either the clutch switch located inside the clutch lever or the neutral switch mounted inside the engine. If your neutral switch or the clutch switch is faulty and never removes ground, the starter solenoid will always energize. You can disconnect the clutch switch directly at the lever by removing either push-on connector. If your neutral indicator is working properly it's unlikely that the problem lies in the neutral switch. You probably have a diode in the circuit. That is what keeps the neutral indicator light from coming on when the clutch switch is closed.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I went to troubleshoot this over the weekend and the problem would not occur. I'm going to get some contact cleaner and spray it into the clutch lever switch as a precaution.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.