Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an extra set of rear shocks for my 82 GL1100A ( came with the bike purchase). Lately on bad bumps I have bottomed out and decided to change the oil in the spairs, they don't leak but have lost fluid over the year in storage. I drained both shocks and refilled both (planning to switch with ones on bike). Everything I've read states they should take 12.5 oz. or 365 cc of ATF, however I was only able to put 8 oz. or 245cc of ATF in each shock. Any suggestions :waiting:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Caribou and welcome to the forum from Texas. Be sure they will stilloperate12.5 oz after a rebuild. If you didn't take them apart and clean all the old oil and residue out, you will only be able to refill the space that is available.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi jackjohn, I figured they would be cleaned out as I put sea foam in them and shook them vigorously then drained them a second time before putting in the ATF. Guess there isn't a short cut and I will have to take them apart.:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Here's a link that might help you out. When I did mine , I took the shock off, turned it upside down. I used canned compressed air for cleaning dust off electronics. Holding the shock upside down. I put the red tube in the hole where the air line goes. Then I gave it several short blasts while catching the used oil in a pan so I could measure how much came out. When nothing else comes out ,your done. It worked like a charm.Here's the link if you want to take the shock apart, but if it's not leaking fluid I would just change the fluid.http://www.kichline.com/chuck/GoldWing/shocks/default.htm

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

it will take all the fluid you may have to compress the shock and force the fluid in on the down stroke of the shock

it aint easy but its not difficuld either

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I used a meat syringe with the needle part removed. Just sucked up the trans fluid from a measured amount in a cup,and slowly injected it in the shock. It only took a few minuets to do.,,

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well Guys,I drained them again, this time using an air canister, then put in sea foam, shook them vigorously and drained then. I used a meat syringe minus the needle to fill them very slowly and still was only able to put in just over 8 oz of atf. I guess even though they don't leak, I'll have to take them apart.:?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I just couldn't take them apart with them not leaking. I filled the two shocks they still only took 8 and a bit ounces. I took the old shocks off the bike and installed the filled shocks (I used 30 wt. oil). I took the bike out for a test ride and it was great, no bottoming out andthe bike actually sits higher.:jumper:I also drained the old shocks, the oil was black and each only held 8oz. of oil. I'm a happy rider, but am still baffled over the volume of oil the shocks are supposed to take.:?

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
imported post

I doubt you could ever get all the fluid out without popping the seals out. Don't worry about it if it rides good.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Since I just rebuilt mine, let me tell you that it is almost impossible to get all the oil out of the inner cylinder without dis assembly. Inside the coil springs is a cylinder that the shock post goes inside of. I is pressed fitted on the sliding end and has several holes in the side to allow the oil in and out. The post needs to work in and out to get the oil out, shaking will not complete the task.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

Not sure where you got the 12.5 number from. But 1100 rear shocks only take 8oz of fluid. Same for the forks IIRC.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

i've rebuilt two sets and they took 10oz each,these were done with seals removed

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
imported post

I have rebuilt 4 or 5 sets and they all took 12oz. easily. I don't worry about the other 1/2 oz.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.