Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey all and thanks for this board!

recently purchased an '82 GL100A basically out of 5 year storage. i have since put over a 1000 miles on it and it's been a sweetie.

2 days ago i noticed it running very rough and backfiring about 10 minutes into my ride home from work. i thought it might be a clogged fuel filter, so i changed it. no help.

this morning's ride in to work was great. nice and smooth. very cool (around 68 degrees F). the ride home was a nightmare. after around 10 minutes of riding, i couldn't get enough throttle. my speed began to drop off and i started looking for a place to pull over. it eventually got me home, but i'm at a loss as to what it is.

is it fuel, or electrical? i'm leaning towards coils????

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

burton wrote:
this morning's ride in to work was great. nice and smooth. very cool (around 68 degrees F). the ride home was a nightmare. after around 10 minutes of riding, i couldn't get enough throttle. my speed began to drop off and i started looking for a place to pull over. it eventually got me home, but i'm at a loss as to what it is.
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet burton!:waving::waving:

It sounds like it could be the pulser coils to me, but I'm sure there will be some more informed GL1100 experts coming online soon!

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

bike would barely start for me today, so i did a little troubleshooting.

i removed the plug leads to 1 & 4 and there was no difference to the engine's running. i removed 2 & 3 leads and it died out.

local shop indicated that it was probably the pick-up coils.

sound like i'm going to be pulling the rear wheel and swing arm off????:X

thanks exavid.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Can you swap the ignition coils to see if the problems follow ?

I'm not sure 1&4 and 2&3 are paired, but if they are, that'd be my first choice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.