Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good Evening All

I have an 82 GL1100A that has been sitting for about 2.5 yrs and I almost have her back up and running. I took her out today and she started to over heat, so I limped her home and pulled the radiator and thermostat. I flushed out the radiator and motor the best I could. Got everything back together andnow its time to put in the anti-freeze in and that leads me to my question …What type of anti-freeze? Thanks for your advice!

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

Use an inexpensive silicate free antifreeze. Once you're certain your overheating problem is resolved, put in the good stuff.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The temp gauge showed that it was running hot, the needle got right up to the red on the gauge and then I shut it down. When i stopped I could hear the antifreeze boiling and the steam hissing. Funny thing was that I only saw a small amount of antifreeze on the ground and on the motor. When I took everything apart I only recovered about 2 cups of antifreeze, so I looked at the reserve tank an it was full. I tooke off to empty it out and clean it when I noticed that the tube that runs inside it was broken where it goes in to the tank itself which I have replaced. Is there something else I should check before I run her again?

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

I wonder where all the coolant ran off to personally......

Yea that reservoir to radiator hose commonly fails....mine did when I had my '82 1100. I use Honda coolant only. Now that you have the hose fixed fill her up and monitor the reservoir tank as she heats up and cools down.

Good luck,

RED

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

So do I, I will keep a very close eye this time to look for any leaks. I am hoping that it was the thermostat that went bad and not the water pump.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

biggbass wrote:
So do I, I will keep a very close eye this time to look for any leaks. I am hoping that it was the thermostat that went bad and not the water pump.
Don't forget to look down under the front of the engine too. Not just leaks, but possibly prior leakage/residue. Fluids can dry leaving only trace evidence, thats sometimes not extremely noticeable, and harder to detect...oil is usually alot easier to detect, as it never dries.. whereas water-base liquid in early stages of leakage doesn't leave alot of evidence or the evidence blends in with engine color easier. If it's been going on for a little while there will probably be some kind of calcium like evidence though, but do look closely.. while its running and warmed up...as it could even be just a hair trickle. Good luck to you. :)

PS... if you don't see anything, and problem persists.. you might need a pressure check on your cooling system... just a thought there. Good thread and good info in here.:)

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

yes it was i changed the themostat Sunday seams to be running fine now thanks

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I have used Maxima brand coolant in all my liquid cooled bikes for years now, it is a bit expensive, but probably less than the Honda stuff. You can now buy silicate free antifreeze for cars, that's even cheaper and should work fine, as long as it is the ethylene glycol type (green) Do not use that orange DEX-COOL. It seems to work in vehicles designed for it, but don't put it in an older vehicle. I believe motorcycles are still coming with ethylene glycol. It is quite a bit more efficient.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

I use the peal Global lifetime which is silicate,Phosphate and boron free.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

By the way with nearly all engines now being made of aluminum most but all of the new ant-freezes are okay if they say silicate free. I have heard Dex-cool can really take a toll on your engine though.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

I use Honda type 2 from the car dealer. Cheaper than the bike shop & paranoia free.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

While you have it apart you may want to consider the radiator cap for peace of mind. I believe there is a cross reference # some one helped me find that fits the bike but I can't seem to find the post. It was very cheep to buy from Car quest.

:?

RED

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.