Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1982 GL1100 Aspencade--original--This should be simpe but it's got me buffaloed...I want to install auxillary signal lights beside my stock brake lights...I have 1157 style lights..I want a running light, and turn signal light.....three wires come off my new lights---ground (grn), running (white), turn (blk)....I assumed grnd to frame, running light to existing wire, and turn to signal wire going to appropriate saddle bag turn signal.....don't work!!!! Please give me some directions......

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
This ought to help you!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I were a smart man the diagram would help....but the fact that it doesn't help,,,speaks for itelf.. relays and flashers blow my mind (& fuses).....Can I make a 1157 light system work on this bike....or is grounding it to frame the problem..

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
Well, yes you can make it work, but you will have a few problems without some extra steps:

1) You really can't use the frame as the ground for the lighting system, it is kind of a floating ground system. You really need to wire the grounds to the wired grounds from the switches and lamps, so run dual leads from the turn signal lamps in the saddle bags to the new lamps
2) If you add additional load (lights) to the existing turn signal load, the flasher will act erratically. The flasher is triggered by heat of the current passing through it. If you add load, you add heat, the flasher will flash faster than normal. You have three options (install LED bulbs in the added lamps, install a new electronic flasher, or install relays to fire the additional lamps. I'd go for LEDs or the relays as the wiring is minimal at best and adding load tends to overheat the system.

If you want to PM me, I can draw up a diagram for you on how to wire each of the options.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is exactly what I did not want to hear,,,,, but it is exactly what I NEEDED to know, thanks for the info.....

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
I don't know what 1157 style lights are (a photo might help) but you've got yours wired up just like I have and mine work fine, Questions..1, do your front position lights, tail light & intrument lights work? if not check the second fuse from the left in the fuse block in front of the compressor under the fake tank, if all that's good, 2, are your bulbs good and are they dual filament bulbs?

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All my stock lights work.....but the turn signals on a 82 aspencade are single fillament, in the saddle bags placed at the bottom. I want double filiment lights (1157) placed up high on either side of brake light...one contact on bulb is turn signal and other contact is running light...and third wire is ground.....

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
traded my aux 1157 lights for led running & turn signals lights, wired em in like a sane man would, and they worked perfectly,,,,it was the load on the flashers.....Thanks bcassell for the heads up...I feel much safer on the Hi-way now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.