Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi y'all, I've waded thru the archives of recent discussions on fork seals, but I'm still not sure about undertaking the job. This is my first 'wing, and I've never done anything but change fork oil in my old bikes.

I have the CLYMER M340 service manual, and it specifies that the 80 thru 82 wings' forks must be serviced by a dealer because "the fork seal in the slider must be removed with special Honda tools and a hydraulic press." Isn't that special?!?!

Is this true, or is this the part about "sliding the tubeout with considerable force" to remove the seals?

Also, because the Clymer says dealer only,they don't have a schematicforthis year. Is the schematic for the1000s or the 83 useable? Is there a better service manual to buy? Will Iever have time (or money) to ride this thing?:cussing:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I have the 81, and by looking at the 83, should be the same along with the earlier models, as long as they use the air support forks. I haven't tried to do the forks on mine, since they appear to be in excellent condition. The last forks I done was over 20 years ago to a Honda 550/4. It wasn't too bad as I remember, and the book at the time also said to take to a dealer, if I remember. I would suggest that you take it to a motorcycle mechanic and have it done if you have any doubts about you ability to do it. If not done right, it could cost you more in the long run. If you must attempt it, do a google search on" GL1100 fork seal replacement" and read some of the threads about it also. Good Luck! And also, welcome to the forums!:clapper:

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

The snap ring was tough on my 83, but it was simple after that. I used a piece of pvc pipe to punch in the new seal. Be careful to put the new seals in right side up. They will leak if you put them in upside down.

you can pop the old seals out by hand. Just hold the slider tube in one hand and the bottom half in the other and use that like a slide hammer. The seals just pop out after a few slides.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

I've done several of them on 1000's and 1100's. It is not difficult. But only you can know how comfortable you are doing this type of work.Since the manual says to take it to a dealer, it may not tell you to remove the allen screw from the bottom of the shock slider. Once this is done, then sliding them apart with a little force will remove the seal. The Honda manual gives a pretty good step by step process for replacing these parts. Depending on the mileage on your Wing, you may want to replace the bushings also, they are not expensive and could save doing it again soon. Honda manual also has schematics for all bikes. Take your time and keep us informed of your progress.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

hey, thanks for the replies... I'm looking at replacing the bushings too, after reading some of the threads here, and also going with the progressive springs. The bike has about 40,000 on her, and the last few look as though they were pretty "neglected." as this is my first 'Wing, I'm just taking it a little slow.

Jackjohn, by the "honda manual" you mean the factory repair manual?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Hi gl1100 81 and 82 forkseals can be replaced without too much trouble (done it three time now) if you are lucky without removing the fork legs just by using the lower fork leg as a slide hammer to knock out the fork seal. Remove the backing ring under the circlip first as it hinder the fork seal removal and will probably be distorted if not removed and require a replacement ( this can be a bit fiddly). If you are not lucky remove the fork leg and heat the area around the seal to expand the aluminium a bit and then it should slide hammer out. If it is still impossibletake the fork toyour local bike shop.

Stiggy

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Oh and yes order the top and bottom sliding bushes as besides wearing out can be damaged when knocking out the fork seals qiuite cheap for what they do.

Stiggy

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

TrackT2411 wrote:
Jackjohn, by the "honda manual" you mean the factory repair manual?
This isn't Jackjohn but that's what he meant. The Clymer manual is good except for the upside down fork seal information.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Hi TrackT, the fork seals on the GL1100 are easy enough to do. They are about the same as on the gl1200 and 1500. Jackjohn summed it up well.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

I just spent an hour typing out how to do this step by step, but the forum rejected my attached photo, so I lost the lot...... TrackT2411 if you still want to know how, just let me know, its not hard and it does not require special tools.

Ben.

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Ben, I've had the same thing happen. What I do now when I have a long(er than usual) post is hit theleft mouse button, highlight the text and then hit the right button and click on the 'copy' command. That way if anything happens and I have to leave the posting window and lose the post, I can always 'paste' it back in. Sure saves a lot of retyping.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

astrotlv wrote:
I just spent an hour typing out how to do this step by step, but the forum rejected my attached photo, so I lost the lot...... TrackT2411 if you still want to know how, just let me know, its not hard and it does not require special tools.

Ben.
Thats normal Ben, if your picture attachment is bigger than the allowed size you will lose the whole post, so it pays to watch out. I do as Paul does when adding pictures, I copy the text justin case.
Your article sounds like it would be welcomed in the new reference section of the forum, if you decide to do it again. If you posted it here or sent it to the wingnut I think it would be a welcome addition.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Hi, yall, Thanks for the advice on the fork seals, sorry for the delayed reply. Ben, thanks for the offer, a step by step would be nice... if it's not too much... I'll be tackling the job in about 2 weeks, (waiting for money, parts, and time!!!). I'm doing some re-wiring, etc for now...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.