Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Unfortunately, gas leaking into the engine oil during times of non-use has been a problem. At first I thought I left the petcock on; after changing the oil and getting nearlyl 5 quarts out, I started paying close attention. The oil level has continued to drift up on the sight glass. It's gone from halfway to the top of the sight glass in 3 days since storing the bike with fresh oil.

I've read the recommendations from others with the same problems. Here are my thoughts and questions for comment.

1. I've ordered a new petcock valve!

2. After reading the web sight, I noticed the left side exhaust spits out black wet stuff on the floor. Suspect a stuck needle valve or problem with a float. The spark plugs are black and sooty with about 800 miles on them since new.

3. I'm not a carb-guy and fearful of pulling the carbs. I'm considering the SEA-FOAM trick recommended before:

"If you don\'t want to pull the carbs, you could try on the bike cleaning. 1. Turn fuel Petcock off. Remove fuel hose to carbs at the fuel pump. 2. Drain fuel from the four carb bowls. 3. Using small funnel, pour seafoam into the fuel line to carb bowls. Aboutfive ounces should fill the four bowls. Do notpour more than five ounces in case you have a leaking needle and seat. 4. Kill Switch to off, open throttle completely, and press starter for five seconds, two times. This will put seafoam in the carb passageways. 5.Some say let set for 2 hours, you might try that. I recommend let set overnight. 6. Drain seafoam from the four carb bowls. 7. Fill the four bowls with fresh fuelinto thesmall funnel into fuel line. 8. Reconnect fuel line, turn fuel Petcock on,start the engine, recheck Pilot Screw adjustments, recheck sync, and see how the engine performs then.... The above information is from Randakk\'s Cycle Shakk web site. The tip there recommended Yamaha carb cleaner. Iused SeaFoam. "

4. Another member recommended use of Marvel Mystery Oil. Any idea how this is applied through the carbs?

5. Any other tricks I should consider?

6. I'll run a table spoon of oil down the cylinders when I get a chance.

Thanks for any input, Jim Butler, Herndon, VA - USA

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

So how's the bike running other than the fuel getting into the crancase? It should be easy to test your petcock, just disconnect the fuel line with the tank full and the valve off and see if it leaks. If it does, that's your main offender. It's unlikely all four carbs are leaking so check your plugs and see which cylinders are running the richest. One other thing you can do is remove the plugs after the engine as been sitting for 24 hours or so, turn the kill switch to kill andcrank the engine. If one of the carbs has been leaking down through a cylinder you'll probably see gas spraying out of the spark plug hole when you first spin the engine over.

Whatever you do don't run the bike with diluted lube oil.Thinned down oil doesn't have sufficient viscosity to protect the bearings.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, I'll definitely try both. The bike runs like it's running rich for the first few minutes. It run's well otherwise. I've been riding it since May (hopefully on good oil). The bike only has 25K miles on it so it has plenty of power.

I think it needs a new exhaust. Once the engine heats up, it does get a little 'fuumy' at the base of the engine. I have'nt found the leak yet. Prior owner put a Jayco exhaust on it years ago. It's quite loud.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Thats a tough one. I just flushed and cleaned my cooling system, and found a needle prick leak in the radiator. Gotta pull the one off of my parts bike and replace it.
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

Having recently worked on my Carbs with a similar problem, it's most likely a needle float valve issue. If the needle is sticking and not seating properly, a cleaner may help. If that doesn't work, pulling the Carbs just to clean or replace the needle valve(s) is not a big deal (having never done it before). There's instructions on this site to pull the Carbs. Your Carb adjustments will not be affected. You may discover the needle valves may need to be replaced. Note - the slightest amount of dirt and I mean a minute amount will cause a float valve to leak.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you do have a leaking float valve(s) don't use aftemarket valves, bite the bullet and buy Mother Honda's real, original, OEM float valves sets. You won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

I tried to find the doc files for you on Randakk's site. I believed he may of moved or deleted the article. If you need help, notify me.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

Your link refers to the main page which know about. However, there are detailed instructions which I copied from Randaak's site(not downloaded) that I can't find.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

Hands down the ST1300 ABS. Concerning speed, safety, comfort and control I have not encountered a better bike.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Well I replaced the Petcock and cleaned the carbs by filling them with SeaFoam for a few days.

No gas leaks from the petcock while off; I checked it by letting it run into a clear tube for a few days. Carbs run smoother from the seafoam.

But....

Gas still appears to be getting into the crankcase somehow. The oil level just creaps up above the site glass and the oil thins out.

Latest theory is that the fuel pump is leaking while the engine runs. Maybe the diaphram is cracked.

Anyone have experience with this?

Seems like the only other potential source of gas into the engine.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

Still sounds like the float needle Valve is not seating properly. Either the Valve is bad/worn or you have dirt or scoring in the seat. I experienced the fuel leakage before I decided to have my Carbs rebuilt. I attempted to fix the problem myself but finally realized it made more sense to replace the needle floats among other parts.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

Being absent minded I used to leave the petcock on my ole 750 years ago on ocasionaly it would leak thru a carb .I found a small solinoid operated shutoff valve (there are some on ebay quite often)and put it on my bike,worked great about $20.00 I have on on my tractor and had one in my boat (350chevy eng)now also.I plan to put one on my goldwing I just got-to me a great easy mod thet can save some hassles because when you turn the key you shut off the fuel to. I also might add that they arn't much bigger than a fuel filter.

My 2 Bits

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

The fuel doesn't leak can't into the engine. New float valves..OEM only. You coudl try taking the float seat out cleaning it and the needle BUT at nest it's a 50/50 chance of fixing the problem. If you can determine which carb is leaking you only have to do that one..but with the carbs out..you might want to do all four???

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Well, the wife and I have a 82 GL100i, ST1300, Suzuki S50 and Suzuki S83. The 82 is the preferred long ride; most comfortable and I need the radio. The Honda ST1300 absolutely rocks as far as performance. I just took the Military Sportbike Course with it (mandatory) and kept up with all the little guys. Took the MSF ERC on the 82 GW and did well with it also. Looking at Rndakks's site but I did solve the problem. See below. Thanks, Jim

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Well for the record, the main culprit was the fuel pump. My brother in law actually figured it out. When inspecting the rubber pump diaphram, I found a small pin hole. This made sense since everytime I ran the bike, the motor oil level climbed higher. I replaced the pump and it's been fine since. Whole pump has to be replaced, the rubber diaphram is not serviceable.

I still suspect some leakage through the right, left carb needle valve; but nothing like pumping gas into the motor.

Thanks for all the comments, even the "forgot my petcock again" story.

Jim;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.