Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1982 Goldwing 1100 Interstate
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the grips on my 1100 Interstate. The old set-up had an after market cruise control lever on the right side. Taking off the old grips, I decided to eliminate the cruise as I never use it and it's looking pretty ragged. So now both sides are off but I'm seeing the length on the left side is 5" from end of handlebar to the switch box. The throttle side (right) is 5 7/8" from switch box to the end of handlebar. I have some grips that I thought would work, but both are too short. Does anyone have a source for grips that fit both sides or am I supposed to move the switch on the throttle side over to adapt to shorter grip. Any suggestions which to buy that reasonable price wise? I've noticed quite a range in prices.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Sounds like someone moved the controls to fit the grip.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What size (length) should I look for to fit an 82 Interstate?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
No idea what the length were stock but if the ones you have fit your hands just use them?
Dave0430 recommends hair spray to get grips on.

·
Administrator
27,122 Posts
Goldwings use 6" grips. Probably the left side switches were moved, should be a locating hole on the bottom of the bars if they are the originals.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ll look for 6” grips and move the switches accordingly. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I took the cruise lever off the throttle side. The throttle tube on that side was about 1/2" long. I removed the 3 machine screws holding the housing for the start button and kill switch as well as loosening the brake lever/master cylinder reservoir. I found the hole in the bottom of the handlebar that indexes with the 'tab' inside the housing. This happens to locate the throttle tube so the end is even with the end of the handlebar. I also did this to the switch housing on the left - clutch side. Found the hole and indexing tab there as well. However, when both sides are located and indexed with their holes, the left length for a grip measures 5" and the right, throttle side measures 6". This leads me to my original question.. how can this be? I don't see any grips being sold being 2 different lengths. I'm curious if anyone with an '82 GL 1100 Interstate could measure their grips and advise if they are both 6". I'm stumped.

·
Administrator
27,122 Posts
Are there threaded plugs in both ends of the handlebars? Maybe someone cut the left one off an inch. You could drill a new locating hole.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The stock, OEM grips on my '87 are 5¼ on the left and 5¾ on the right.
So am I‘m guessing that stock grips are 1/2” different in length? I’ve not been able to find them sold like that. Dave: I did notice holes in the ends of both sides of the handlebar. I couldn’t tell if they are threaded or not. What is supposed to screw in these (if indeed threaded)?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,999 Posts
That's stock parts. Anything aftermarket may not be correct.

New (correct) parts can be gotten from your local Honda dealer.

·
Administrator
27,122 Posts
So am I‘m guessing that stock grips are 1/2” different in length? I’ve not been able to find them sold like that. Dave: I did notice holes in the ends of both sides of the handlebar. I couldn’t tell if they are threaded or not. What is supposed to screw in these (if indeed threaded)?
Bar end weights are supposed to screw onto the ends. They are to dampen steering shake. Grips are usually stiff enough that 1/2" hanging off the end won't be noticed.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions for grips that would be able to be cut down to size? Maybe with an end cap to cover up the trimmed edge?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,999 Posts
If you buy the right size, you won't have any problems.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all. I ordered off eBay this morning and they have already shipped. I’ll update with report on how they fit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts