Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spent some time fixing the horns on my '82 GW Naked. Neither of them was working and I need to get a safety inspection before I can register it.

I took both horns off and touched the lead wires directly to the battery...nothing. So I figured I'd have to search Ebay for a couple of new horns but then I thought I would try and fix these ones.

You can pop the chrome cover off with a small screwdriver. Then take all the small screws out around the outer edges. Then the whole thing comes apart.

The horn works like this: there is a coil around a metal button in the centre and a normally closed set of points that can interupt the circuit. A thin steel diaphram with a similar steel button goes over top. When power is put to the horn the centre button become magnetized and drawing the button on the diaphram down. But a tab on the diaphram pull the points open so the circuit is broken and the diaphram springs back. But then the points close and the magnet pulls the diaphram. This on/off switching and the diaphram vibrating up and down make the horn sound.

So the things that can make the horn not work are that the coil is burned out, in which case you need a new horn. Or the contacts get dirty and you don't get a complete circuit with the points are closed.

In my case the points were dirty so I cleaned them with some fine sandpaper and now my horns work.

Brian

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Good info

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.