Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am cleaning the carbs on my '82 Interstate. She has been sitting in a barn for the past 15 years and the carbs show it: They are pretty gunky!!

I read that the idle jet doesn't come out on the 80 and 81 1100's. How about the '82's. My Clymer manual ignors the idle jet altogether.

If I can't take it out, how do I know if I have it clean? If I squirt carb cleaner into it, I would expect it to come out somewhere. Not sure where to look

Attachments

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

I had to remove and clean all of my low speed jets as well, I tapped the outter part of the jet with a #4=40 tap and used a machine screw threaded into the jet and then used a pair of side cutters to gently pry the jet free of the casting. After cleaning I reinserted the jets and gently tapped them back into place with a punch. It worked very well and carbs now work great!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

All the jets in the 82-83's are removable. Now, how easy to remove is another story. I'd let the carbs sit full of seafoam overnight then try removing the jets. If the seafoam doesn't work then boil them for about 30 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

OK, I turned chicken on trying to unscrew the jet out of the carb body.

If I squirt carb cleaner onto the jet, I can fill up the 'tube' that it sits in. I can put air pressure on it at 60PSI and try to blow it down through the jet, it doesn't go anywhere. But if I apply air pressure into the idle adjust hole (screw, spring washer and O-ring removed),I blow the carb cleaneroutthrough the idle jet.

I suspect it is clean, but wierd why I can only blow it one way.

Anyways - I'm moving on to the next carb!!

·
Administrator
26,148 Posts
imported post

Until you get it so that if you spray carb cleaner into the jet and it comes out the adjusting screw hole it is not cleaned out well enough to work.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Until you get it so that if you spray carb cleaner into the jet and it comes out the adjusting screw hole it is not cleaned out well enough to work.
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I am not moving on to the next carb just yet!!

Should I be able to poke a fine wire from the jet through to the air cut off?? It looks like there should be a passage there, but I can't seem to get through either way??

Thanks again. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Hey Rudy! Look at those carbs! They've got green slime. No comment.

If it's a 1982, they should screw out. Be careful not to destroy the brass.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
imported post

I just finished rebuilding my 82 carbs this last weekend and the slow jets 'do' unscrew. I think they need to come out to be cleaned correctly. You can try boiling them or soaking them with WD or carb cleaner. Do not try to force wire through them as you can ruin them easily. The openings are very, very small. DO NOT use a wire probe larger than .013 inches diameter and even then be careful. There are also eight tiny holes through the sides of the jet that seldom get stopped up but some of mine were. For those .020 wire worked well. Have fun with it and good luck…

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Use the tiniest strand from an electrical cord wire. It's copper and softer than the brass, shouldn't damage the jet.

Yes, the '82s had screw in jets too.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Just to give y'all feedback, I managed to unscrew and clean the idle jets in all the carbs. Man, that is a tiny hole!! I don't think I had done any damage poking it with a wire, but I could see how it could easily be damaged.

I found that I needed to file down the sides of my flat blade screwdriver to fit into the 'tube' and connect properly with the jet. If I had used a slimmer blade, it would not have been a tight enough fit into the slot on the top of the jet and would probably have done damage.

There was a lot of gunk in the jets when I got them out. It was much easier to clean them when I got them out.

Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.