Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

my 82 1100 has started to stumble above 5500rpm when im running up long hills or under heavy acceleration. its like its running out of fuel . if i let up on the throtle the engine runs fine but as soon as you get back on it it will do it again.

after fouling a plug (right,front cyl) comming up through a mountain pass, i know its an electrical issue.(the other plug on that head was fine)

any of you have an idea were to start to look for the problem? thanks for any help.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

First question is why you were running the poor thing at 5500 rpm? It could be something as simple as one tired plug. It seems to me that you're asking a lot of the bike, if it runs okay below 5500rpm why not just treat it a little easier.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I myself have not needed to run mine at that high of rpm. But exavid is right, it sounds like bad plugs or possibility of bad spark plug wires.:cool:Also welcome to the forum. Our official greeter (Redwing)will officially bless you into the forum later.:doh:

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

This could be one of several problems. A tired coil would be one possibility.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

82 1100, I wouldn't be too sure about it being ignition, two coils right, would take out two cylinders.

Plug, maybe, rare, replace and see if it improves.

Wire, maybe, swap and see if the problem follows.

Carburetion, have the vacuum pistons been replaced ? There was a recall in the late '80's for that, I'm sure you're too late for any consideration from Honda now.

Fuel fouled a plug under high load at upper medium rev's high altitude.

Is the plug that fouled the cylinder with the accelerator pump in the carb, could point at a bad diaphragm in the accelerator pump.

Just a couple of things to think about. Doesn't hurt to check ignition pieces, but it sounds like fuel to me.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

exavid wrote:
First question is why you were running the poor thing at 5500 rpm? It could be something as simple as one tired plug. It seems to me that you're asking a lot of the bike, if it runs okay below 5500rpm why not just treat it a little easier.
thanks for the quick responses ...first thing im going to try is new plug wires with new ends.the plugs are in great shape and the problem is with only the one cylinder.(rf)

i dont regularly run this bike at sustained high rpm. that being said, it has seen close to redline line on many occassions when surprising the odd person off the line.

crusing rpm at 120kms/hr is around 4500 ish.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

timber_tramp wrote:
exavid wrote:
thanks for the quick responses ...first thing im going to try is new plug wires with new ends.the plugs are in great shape and the problem is with only the one cylinder.(rf)

i dont regularly run this bike at sustained high rpm. that being said, it has seen close to redline line on many occassions when surprising the odd person off the line.

crusing rpm at 120kms/hr is around 4500 ish.
I knew the 1100s were lower geared but didn't realize they were that much lower. My 1200 ran about 3700 rpm at that speed and my 1500 runs around 3200.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

Yep, The 1100's went with taller gears every year, by 83 they had it about right.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

5500 RPMs is not winding very high for a GL1100. A well tuned 1100 will pull to the 8000 RPM redline. Just don't do it all the time. That said, I would suspect carb trouble. Changing a plug and wire is cheap and easy so give it a try. After that, look at the carb for the cylinder in question.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey timber_tramp :waving:A hundred thousand welcomes to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
Hey timber_tramp :waving:A hundred thousand welcomes to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:
Now you've done it! You never gave anyone else that many welcomes! I think you're going to have to go back and retroactively re-welcome them all with ninety nine thousand nine hundred and ninety nine welcomes in the interest of fairness.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Now you've done it! You never gave anyone else that many welcomes!
The fact that i was given this very important promotion with pay, :clapper:i have to do the best i can. :weightlifter:

:dance::18red::dance:

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
imported post

timber_tramp wrote:
Switch the the plugs around, too. Even a brand new plug can be bad, rare but possible. What's the altitude? But wouldn't high altitude make you run rich? After that, I'd check the timing, and next would be carbs, if it's not a wire or plug.

You may have more than one issue.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

ive already swaped the plug in question to another cylinder ,with no change. elevation was 4-6000 ft. the problem also happens when going hard from a stop ussually after i shift into 2nd gear. it starts to sputter around 5500 rpm until you let off the gas .

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It would be kinda hard to pull off a plug wire when it appears that the only time the miss occurs is when it's under heavy load with the throttle wide open. If you can isolate the cylinder by plug appearance how about swapping the coils to see if the problem shifts. Also how about putting a little choke on to see if it has any effect?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
It would be kinda hard to pull off a plug wire when it appears that the only time the miss occurs is when it's under heavy load with the throttle wide open. If you can isolate the cylinder by plug appearance how about swapping the coils to see if the problem shifts. Also how about putting a little choke on to see if it has any effect?
No, not when it's missing. He stated that plug was fouling. It must be established that there nothing wrong with the juice going to the plug. A wire isn't bad then good then bad again, it's either good or bad. This is one way of finding out. It should arc across to the plug with a half inch distance as long as the wire's good. The other way to find out if the wire's good would be (maybe) to compare ohm reading between the four, but I'm not sure if a typical ohm meter is good enough. Half an inch distance or more would be simulating a load condition.

I've never heard of a case where a dual lead coil is good at one lead and not the other, but they can certainly have one bad wire or end cap.

I don't know if they'll reach, but if you switch wire for wire to each plug on that coil.and it changes cylinders, then you know it's in the coil/wire. If that cyclinder still fouls, you know it's either the carb or the cylinder.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

77GL1 wrote:
exavid wrote:
I've never heard of a case where a dual lead coil is good at one lead and not the other, but they can certainly have one bad wire or end cap.
I haven't either, however if one end was grounded the coil might still generate enough voltage to fire the plug at the other end. It would be interesting to put a shorted plug in and see if the opposing plug would still fire.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

Had a "boy look" at the other posts and don"t think anyone has mentioned renewing the Fuel Filter and checking fuel supply?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
imported post

daveinozbikes wrote:
Had a "boy look" at the other posts and don"t think anyone has mentioned renewing the Fuel Filter and checking fuel supply?
That's why I believe there to be 2 issues. The plug is one issue (very important), but may have nothing (or little) to do with the stumbling(?) at higher rpms. I had a fouling plug on my CB, but it'd still ran like a banchie all the way from idle to 9000 rpms. It turned out to be a tiny crack in the emulsifier in one of the carbs (may not be the problem here)...., but the plug issue needs to be delt with 1st.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.