Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys,

Isn't it normal for a 4 cylinder Wing to make some shaft/clutch noise on a low-rpm takeoff? It sounds like power pulses vibrating through the driveline... not loud, but it's there.

I've heard quite a few other Wings do it.

Had a guy looking at my bike today, and his dealer told him the clutch is junk.

I obviously disagree; my dealer says it's normal, and fine. Bike has 68k original.

Who's right?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site Ne Tree! :waving::waving:

I know of several 'Wings with over 100,000 miles on the odometer that haven't had clutch work and still work fine. Of course there are those that have been abused and don't last as long. Before digging into things too far I'd check carb sync on your bike. Out of sync carbswill cause these engines to make lots of odd noises at low rpms especially under load as in starting out from a stop. I've sync'd a couple of them that sounded like the con rods where loose but once the carbs were in harmony the noise was completely gone.

Some think the noise is caused by the primary chain slapping due to wear but having disassembled a couple 1100 engines and a 1000 with high mileage it didn't appear to me that the primary chain could really make any noise because I didn't see any excessive slack in any of them. Check your carb balance, do a search on the subject in the forum and you'll find a lot of information on the subject.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi ex,

I did the forum search, and it seems well-documented that some primary-chain noise on these machines is normal. Of course, it's not designed to ingest 20-degree air, either, and it's never done it during "normal" riding season.

I'm upset that this normal noise blew the sale, and I couldn't get the potential buyer to understand that it's normal. I think his mechanic just doesn't have enough Wing experience; but the sale is blown, just the same.

Adding insult to injury, I'm asking about half what the bike is worth to start with. GRRRRRRR.

Thanks th RevE for the heads-up on this forum; looks like a great place.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Get the carbs synced and most of that will go away. Also don't lug the engine when starting out from a dead stop, bring the rpm's up around 1500.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hi Bag,

The carbs were sync'ed about 300 miles ago; albeit in normal riding weather, not the 21 degrees we had today.

I did mention that you need to give it some fuel and not take off at like a grand on the tach; don't lug it, in other words.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Come to think of it, the fuel is probably 6 or 7 months old, too. With the new ethanol blends, that's probably on its way to stale.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

Hi NeTree:waving:

My 81 does a lot of rattle and vibration when taking off from idle but 81 are geared higher. My 82 is smooth taking off from idle in fair and warmer temps but below 30some enough for ice it will rattle without a little extra fuel untill it warms enough to move the temp needle.

Dwight

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

NeTree

Not meant as a dig but are you a ex V-Twin rider? It seems like a lot of the guys that make the transition from V-Twins have the habit of trying to start out with too low a RPM. This things like rpm's Lots of them. They don not have the torque of a Twin. Yes a 1000 in good tune will take off from a idle if the clutch is slipped but a normal takoff should be at least 2-3 grand.

On my touring bike I pulled the clutch at 106,000 HARD miles. Most were double up and pulling a trailer. It measured out well within spec.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

You misunderstand me, brother...

I wasn't the one with the issue; the prospective buyer was. I tried to explain to him that he needed to fuel higher, but he was convinced the noise was a clutch problem; which I already know isn't.

His dealer apparently doesn't know GoldWings very well.

Rev, yeah... my bet would be the carbs are going to perform a whole lot different in cold air than they would at summer temps; unlike a car or something, bikes don't have much provision for winter running. Why would they have to? LOL

I guess the point of this, is whether I'm correct about the primary noise being normal for these 'Wings or not.

=)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've run the 1100 in temps down to 20F as well as my 1500 and didn't notice much difference in performance once the engine was warmed up. It would be worth your time to double check the sync and try to find another buyer who's a bit more savvy.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

oops well maybe the buyer is a ex V-Twin guy? Sorry but it is just one of the things I have observed. I rode with a guy last year that had decades of riding experience on HD's but stalled 3 different times navigating a mountain ride on a 1000. Great rider just very used to a completely different torque curve.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

You're probably right; I think the guy was trying to get something for nothing. $1600 for a bike I have $1500 into in the last season, not counting what I paid for it, is a steal.

He offered me $1,100... I told him I'd burn it and let it rot into the ground, first.

Thing doesn't even do the puff of smoke on startup like most wings do, yet.

You think the sync drifted in the four months since it was done? It's only gone a hundred miles since...

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Whisker, maybe? I dunno. He told me what he has now, I just don't recall what it was.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

NeTree wrote:
You think the sync drifted in the four months since it was done? It's only gone a hundred miles since...
Dunno but it doesn't take more than a few minutes to see.

I know getting a low ball offer is irritating but I've learned over the years to be polite when I get one. In two cases I've had a buyer come back after a day or two and raise his offer to something we could agree on. If I'd toldthem to piss off I'd never have seen either one of them back again. A lot of people will try to low ball but if they want what you have they'l come back. If they don't come back you aren't out anything but a bit of irritation at holding your tongue. Also the low baller probably isn't going to spread the word around that your bike is a piece of junk if he isn't pissed off.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Ex, you're probably right, but one thing that left me with a very bad taste, was the call to the "mechanic". I found it odd that he wouldn't let me talk to him, wouldn't put him on speaker, etc. I don't know WHO he really talked to. I just had this feeling like he was trying to scam me, is all. You had to have been there, brother!

But all's well that ends well; he didn't get to steal my machine, and I got to get some reallllly strange looks from a group of ski-mobilers when I rode by on the 'Wing. THAT was worth the price of admission, lemme tell ya!

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I know getting a low ball offer is irritating but I've learned over the years to be polite when I get one. In two cases I've had a buyer come back after a day or two and raise his offer to something we could agree on. If I'd toldthem to piss off I'd never have seen either one of them back again. A lot of people will try to low ball but if they want what you have they'l come back. If they don't come back you aren't out anything but a bit of irritation at holding your tongue. Also the low baller probably isn't going to spread the word around that your bike is a piece of junk if he isn't pissed off.

It's a normal part of the barter system-part of the fun of the game.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I am inclined to believe that the carbs are out of synch or need cleaning of the jets. You can get wierd rattle noises at low start up speed.

Yes, the clutch cage can rattle a bit at idle. Pull the clutch and it goes away. A bad clutch to me is one that won't grab.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Hate to hear that about the buyer...I'm in the process of selling my 81 now....I did notice you put that your fuel in your tank may be 6 or 7 months old......try getting you a can of seafoam and pouring some in with the gas. It will help with old fuel and help in cleaning your carbs.

Good luck on your sale!!

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

The new fuel blends definitely seem to bite. I've had to switch back to 1 gallon cans for the saw fuel, just to keep it fresh; otherwise, my chainsaws run like ka-ka.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.