Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I need some help again please:?Here's what happened

I had a coolent leak I found a rotted hose at the neck of the radiator cap that leaked

coolent from the reservoir down and out onto the floor.Ended up pulling the radiator and having it cleaned out. Decieded to change the timing belts while i was there so far so good,i put everthing back together took it for a spin the ONLY thing that i could tell was different was the idle was a little lower than before, coming back home heading up my steepdriveway 600-700 ft LONG the thing stalls and oil light comes on, restarted and the same thing happened when i let of of the clutch. So i had to backdown the driveway very carefully to go around the back way up a dirt road to the house. It starts back up runs fine on a flat but when i tried the driveway again the next day same thing.

the idle is still a little low a first but straightens out after it warms up

any suggestions PLEASE

Scot

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

In my 83 the fuel pick up is in the back of the tank and I'm sure yours is as well. If there's trash, rust or water in the tank that would move back that might explain fuel starvation. If you pull the seat you can remvoe the fuel sending unit and look into the tank. Make sure the fuel level is low enough that it won't spill of course.

If it is fuel starvation I would think that it sputters and or surges at least a little before it shuts off. Does it do this or act like the key was turned off?

I sometimes get a little water in mine. I like to put 5 ounces of SeaFoam in a bottle and take it and a funnel to the gas station. Put the Seafoam in first and then fill so you get good dispersion.

This is a very odd problem that kinda defies logic. A local bike shop owner told me he had a bike in once that would only idle properly on the center stand. When they put it on the side stand the RPMs would go through the roof. He never did figure it out.

Hope you have better luck.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

that makes sence i will check that out
but still doedn't explain the oil light coming on and staying on til i turn the key off

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

if you stall the bike the oil light comes on well mine does . So when your riding and go up a hill does it do it then and stall out

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

The oil light is supposed to come on when the engine is stopped and the switch on. It comes on every time you turn the ignition on until the engine starts and turns the oil pump.
The main fuel pickup is in the front of the tank so if going up a steep hill and the fuel level low enough it will stop picking up fuel. The reserve pickup is in the bottom rear of the tank so try it again either with a full tank or on reserve.
Nothing you did should have affected the idle unless you got the timing off when you changed the belts.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

thanks ia'm trying all going to change fuel filter and see
i'll keep you posted

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

the fact that the oil light came on means its working properly,

you say it dies when going up the driveway, are you giving it some gas or trying to idle up the driveway?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

iam giving it gas, the driveway has never given me a problem before like i said very long and steep

it startsflat at the street goes up steep about 100 or so ft then hair pin right up the rest 4 or 5 houndred ft and it makes it about half way up that part and sputters to stall,it will start back up but to steep and heavey to move forward so i had to back it down, i also live at6000' in the mountains if that has anything to do with anything

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Well,, doubt it's a gas tank issue the gas in the bowls will let you drive a mile or so with no input from the tank.

My guess is clogged jets and you are not giving it enough gas for up hill with your new lower idle rpm's.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

If it'll stay running after a re-start until you put it in gear, maybe a faulty kickstand or clutch switch that activates with the steep angle? Do these things have a bank angle sensor like my ST?

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

i dont think the 1100 has a bas but then again i didsnt think the sei had it till i dropoped it the other day

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

iam going to change the fuel filter this weekend and look into the tank and try to see if that does anything
ill let you know and thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

What are your rpms when this happens, do you maybe need to downshift?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

iam in 1st gear rpm at least 3500 i thought at first i was in second gear but when it happened the second time i made sure i was in 1st like i said b4 the first part of the drive way is preaty steep then it takes a hairpin right and continues up it runs fine until about to the top maybe 50' or so than sputters out even at full throtle and dies

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Well I changed the fuel filter took it for a test drive,runs great.Got to the driveway up the first part ok i couldn't make the right turn sharp enought so i stopped restarted again it started to sputter again and stalled SO i backed up again revved it up again and took off up the driveway without stalling go figure. Could changing the timming belts have any afect on this problem??

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

no if they were in time before and all you did was change them there is no diffrence

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Wow , thats some driveway .?
If the problem started only after changing the timing belt , recheck the belt timing.
Might be one tooth out as you descibed a slightly lower idle rpm after new belt installation.?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.