Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My bike is pretty much the ugliest you ever saw, built in 2002 for functional reliability rather than looks and has never let me down 'til now. The ignition switch appears to have gone AWOL on me and I want to replace it with other switches elsewhere (on the fairing) due to the act of Congress it would take to just replace it.

Does anyone know where I can find a wiring schematic for a '82 Interstate that is clearer and more informative than the one in the Clymer manual that I'mattempting to work with now.

I'm not a stranger toschematics but whoever drew this one seemed to have been hoping no-one would ever have to use it.:gunhead:

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hey, thank you my friend, this is the exact same drawing as mine but it is in color on on a White background instead of B/W on Gray, my apologies to the author ofmydrawing, it was just the publisher that sucked. I already have it enlarged, copied and landscaped onto a 14x11 sheet and now I can work with it, thanks again buddy. :action:

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Is what your trying to do is use another type of switch to replace the stock switch? And mount it in the fairing?,,

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yes, that's my plan, do you know another way? Because changing out the original switch is almost a front end rebuild and the bike is really not worth it, got any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Remove or loosen the fairing, a 10 minute job, and then you have two 10mm headed bolts holding the switch in from underneath. No big deal at all. Every time you take the fairing off, it gets easier and easier.

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

OK Man, I'm gonna man up and do it your way, I'm gonna yank that fairing and find out what ............. goin' on behind there,at least then I'll have the room toto get a pair of probes inand really check out the switch, hell,it could be draining voltage from elsewhere, it may not be the switch at all. who knows? you know what assuming does for you, thanks for your input Mr Sam, appreciate it. :waving:

edited language content

·
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Well here we are 4 months later and that old bike runs better than it ever did in the7 years since I first built it out of 2 bad bikes.

Turned out the ignition switch was fine, the electrical fault was a burnt up plug behind the fairing counterwieght, which I never would've found without all ya'alls fine input.

Finding that gave me the green light to go ahead and fix a few other things, such as, the fairing itself turned out to be busted, (ah, so that's why it was shaking around so much).

So afew hundred dollars on ebay later I now have a good, standard, exhaust system that has quietened the bike down andreturned thepower lost just so's the Dennis Kirk.com kit that was on it could make a raunchy noise, a throttle that I can snap back without the switch turning on the handlebar, a rebuilt instrument cluster with a speedometer that works, rebuilt compresser controls that don't leak air, a fake gas tank that actually opens with a key, and not Velcro and most importantly of all I got rid of the ............... purple fairing that made the bike look like a............... and replaced it with one that is solid and matches the rest of the bikes color scheme

My apologies to any of you that got beat out at the last minute ................, but it's a cutthroat world out there when you're trying to find 28 year old parts that still work.

Thankyou people, I couldn't have done it without ya. :action:

edited language content

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.