Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have on my machine a 6.80mm (min' thickness 6mm) solid rear brake rotor and it offers some good operatioal bite, but I have noticed that the pistons are extended out from the caliper by a good 1/2".
I bring this up because I've recently seen a vented rear rotor for sale, just like the Aspy ones I have on the front (9mm min' thickness), and wonder, should I be using one of those instead?
I've had a lot of experience messing with front brakes but not the rear, first, I didn't even know they made a vented rear, I guess it's just another Interstate/Aspencade thing, the likes of which I've been dealing with the 10 years I've been fixing up this bike and how am I getting a good rear brake if my rotor is 2.20mm below minimum thickness?
Because I know for absolutely sure that would not work on the front.

·
Administrator
27,896 Posts
The pistons will extend a long way out without a problem. They don't come out until almost completely to the opposite side of the caliper. I have an aspy rear caliper on my 1100 with a solid rotor and have great brakes.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
There are thicker pads. FA69, FA69/2, FA 69/3, the differences are the thickness of the pad material.

The vented rotors were on the Aspencades.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
i have an 83 Aspencade with the vented fronts and solid rear,
came that way from the factory. Apparently they used the same wider caliper for vented or solid but used longer pistons when assembled with solid rotor. I learned that quick when I rebuilt my brakes. They do look like they are out farther. When I rebuilt mine I couldn't get anything besides the shorter stock pistons so I usd the backing plate of one pad behind the outboard pad to make up the difference. Has worked well for 2 years now

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
i have an 83 Aspencade with the vented fronts and solid rear,
came that way from the factory.
Yes in 83 Honda went to linked brakes so there was no longer the need for the vented rotors on the rear as riders afraid of the front brakes could no longer use the rear brake alone.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
When I rebuilt mine I couldn't get anything besides the shorter stock pistons so I usd the backing plate of one pad behind the outboard pad to make up the difference. Has worked well for 2 years now
That's a great tip, thanks.

·
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input, I've learned a lot, I did buy the Aspy rotor, (it was real cheap). When this rain stops I'm gonna see if I can spread my pads enough to get it to fit but if all I've got to do to make it fit is get some easily available short pistons it'll make a good spare, thanks. :)

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts

·
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...-aspencade-rear-brake-pistons.html#post970178

So that, as they say is "the rest of the story".
The 4mm difference in the length of the 2 types of piston makes up for the similar difference in thickness of the 2 types of rotor and the caliper is universal, the odd 1mm, could get took up by pad movement or wear.
I guess Ma Honda had a bunch of solid rotors left over from the CB900 or the Aspy ones where too expensive to produce, who knows? All the same, I gotta say, I did get lucky to match up the right caliper, pistons and rotor in the first place.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Yep those 1100STDASPENSTATE Goldwings are rare beasts.:ROFL:
Yes they are!!!! Even in SoCal where there are lots of rare beasts of all varieties!:shock:

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
Yep those 1100STDASPENSTATE Goldwings are rare beasts.:ROFL:
:ROFL: yes sir . that is a rare bird. but , no telling what kind of concockshun you can come up with on the 1100 brake systems :lash:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.