Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Forum but definitely not new to motorcycles. A buddy asked me to give him a hand changing the tires on his GL 1100. Got the front tire change no issue when we went to take the rear tire off the previous owner had to Loosely put the axle nut on and secured it with a cotter pin. I was able to turn the nut off by hand. After the tire was changed and reinstalled we discovered that when you torque the axle, the rear wheel binds up - needs 2 hands just to turn it. I double checked and triple checked all the spacers, everything is in the right place. I use some spacers on the axle bolt and torque the bearings without the differential and the bearing spin free. When I bolt the differential on is when the wheel binds up. The collar and the spacer are present in the differential, I am not sure what I am missing. My buddy had a spare differential and we traded differentials and it's doing the same thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated since his bike is now stuck on my lift. Thanks

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Missing a spacer.the differential IS part of the correct spacing,seems to me if I remember there’s a big flat washer that goes on the left side but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I realize the differential is part of the correct spacing, but I wanted to confirm that it was not the wheel bearings that were binding when I started to torque the axle. There is a spacer between the bearing and the brake hanger, there is a washer there is well for spacing The Hanger evenly onto the rotor. The sleeve and the spacer are inserted into the differential which makes contact with the right hand wheel bearing. I was just looking at another thread and there appeared to be a spacer between the swingarm and the brake hanger. The way the axle is made I don't know if that would make a difference. Mine does not have one but the previous owner may have lost it. Either way when I torque the axle with the wheel not mounted to the motorcycle the differential binds up as soon as I start to torque the nut

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Ok,when you put the axel in and the brake hanger do you see a space between the swing arm and the brake hanger?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Don’t know if this helps but I don’t see another spacer between the swingarm and brake

Attachments

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
The differential goes on first, tighten it to swingarm, then put the wheel on,there’s two spacers, one in the wheel and the one in the swingarm between the brake, tighten the axel before the pinch bolt.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
No, the axel will go through, but bottom out on the outside Spacer, the brake is pinched between the inner spacer and outer spacer, the inner spacer sets inside the dust seal.
post 8 shows the outer spacer.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
What Texas is trying to point out is; there are supposed to be two spacers on the left side. One on either side of the brake bracket. They are identical parts.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Thanks Dennis,I could not recall exactly how they went in,been 25 years sin I had an 82

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Denis. The bike only had one of the bushings - the inside one @ the bearing. I cant see any purpose for the outside bushing except for spacing of the swingarm - do you agree? And for that reason, when i assemble the wheel/diff removed from the bike, the diff should still rotate smoothly and easily, but it doesnt. The axle will still push on the brake carrier, and apply pressure between the brake carrier and the diff. It is at this point, that it binds up. There is a sleeve and spacer inside the diff, and that comes in contact with the Right side wheel bearing. I confirmed that the bearing spacer inside the wheel is there, and it is sitting tight against the inner races. Both bearings rotate smoothly, and there is no binding IF i just torque the brake carrier to the wheel. to do this, i took the spacer out of the diff, and used another small spacer to give the nut room to tighten. 55 lb ft. With the diff installed, the wheel starts to drag at about 10 lb ft, and needs 2 hands to rotate it at spec torque settings. Sorry for the long reply.
Brian

·
Administrator
26,576 Posts
That sleeve doesn't look right and what is that slotted nut thing under the axle nut? That flange thing next to the wheel bearing doesn't belong there either, looks like the spacer that goes on the left outside the brake bracket. I am sure that is where the problem is. I'll go out to the shop shortly and see if I can find one of those sleeves and measure it. The spacers on the left side are not the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That sleeve doesn't look right and what is that slotted nut thing under the axle nut? That flange thing next to the wheel bearing doesn't belong there either, looks like the spacer that goes on the left outside the brake bracket. I am sure that is where the problem is. I'll go out to the shop shortly and see if I can find one of those sleeves and measure it. The spacers on the left side are not the problem.
the slotted nut was from a hayabusa motor mount. it was on the bench, and i needed a spacer to test with. The flange thing you mention is the one that fits on the end of the sleeve inside the diff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have all those spacers. the differential has another sleeve and spacer that contacts the right side bearing. The funny thing is that the fiche only shows one spacer on the left, which is what i have.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I saw that on the Fisch didn’t quite fit with how we know it fits together.the sleeve u refer to is to keep the bearings in the proper spacing,I wonder if it’s the wrong one?it should never come out unless to clean the cavity or replace the bearing.?
oops I was referring to the one inside the wheel.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts