Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm new here and have enjoyed reading all the info on this site. My wife purchased me (us) an 82 GL1100 for Christmas. I know this bike hasn’t been ran for at least two years. Lots of rust in the tank and several other problems I’m sure I will need help with. My question is, when I try turning it over I get nothing but a click from the solenoid. I seem to have a good ground and I am getting 12 vdc at the starter through the solenoid.I have even tapped 12 volts straight to the starter and nothing. I’m also reading about 17k ohm through the starter to ground. I’m guessing my starter is bad, any opinions? Can these things be rebuilt? Thanks for any input. Ray…

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Hello. take that old thing out, clean it out and inspect brushes. after you get the rust cleaned out your fuel tank add some seafoam to clean up gummed fuel on the carbs. change oil and filter and write on your ToDo list, to do the belts.

manuals can be downloaded from the link on my signature, when you get to the starter section, dont freak out. the maunal says engine removal is required, but no, you can do it with the engine on the bike, just removing some parts to get clearance, on my friends 81 i had to remove the exhaust but some folks around here manage to get it out without removing anything. good luck and dont hesitate to ask anything :)

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks.

I have cleaned the rust from the tank with acid and sealed it with kreem. New fuel filter and lines, new oil and filter and was planing on using some seafoam in the carbs but need to hear it fire and run. I did look at the belts and they look good as do the tensioners. If the belts are something you thinkI should replace thenI probably should sinceI am into the bike this far anyway. Thanks again...

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

yep-- on the belts . that is some very cheap insurance against a engine replacement if a belt lets go .

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Go to stockers.com for a rebuild kit. They have been recommended on here by others. I have a kit on it's way. Be aware that stockers.com has been sold and a new owner is taking over.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks everybody. I took my starter apart and it's a mess inside. Brushes shot, field coil shorted to case, the works. Looks likeI will be buying a new one. Stokers Starter'slooks reasonably priced.I appreciate everyones help.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Glad you found out that the starter was bad. I got a new starter off ebay guy in TN /$119.

Ditto on the belts, maybe flush the coolent too.

Once it runs, you may find the carbs a bit gummed up, who knows.

You have a great wife (buying a 'wing for you). Have you considered cloning her?

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Most of the starters on Ebay are Chinese made and usually don't last very long. Stocker's are rebuilt OEM Mitsuba starters and will last for many miles.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
Glad you found out that the starter was bad. I got a new starter off ebay guy in TN /$119.

Ditto on the belts, maybe flush the coolent too.

Once it runs, you may find the carbs a bit gummed up, who knows.

You have a great wife (buying a 'wing for you). Have you considered cloning her?
Yeah, not only did she buy me the wing, she gets her hands dirty and helps me work on it also. Must admit she's one of a kind...

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

Sad to hear that Stocker's is sold... I hope they continue to keep up the quality... Brother, a few years ago when I first came across Stockers, I couldn't believe how cheap they were compared to Uncle Honda's offering. 83Goldwinger is dead on about Chinese eBay starters.... I hope Stockers doesn't turn to them for cheaper versions in this lousy economy.... Guess we'll have to wait and see.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Just came from Stocker's web site. They list the new HS-36 for $109.95, but in their specials it's listed as $139.95.??? I e-mailed them with that question to see what they say...

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Yes, your starter can, and should, be rebuilt.

I just installed a kit from Stockers Starters and could NOT be happier with it. For the first time in 10 years or so, the starter turns the engine over faster than idle again.

While you're at it, give a read to the following thread:

Resurrecting An Old Goldwing

You'll find alot of useful information that will point you in the correct directions for things you'll need to fix immediately.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

You know, we went straight to the "replace/ rebuild your starter" route, BUT if the bike has been sitting a lllooonnnggg time (which this one has), the starter may not need to be rebuilt... Since I am poor and a hundred odd dollars can still buy a quart of gas =) I would whack the starter with a dead blow hammer while pressing the start button. =) The starter may simply be stuck and not necessarily in need of a rebuild. If the starter's "caught" from sitting, it may need a little friendly persuasion to get with the program... Besides, whacking the starter is a lot cheaper than buying a new one or rebuilding an old one, so it may be worth the effort. =)

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Hey, how about you new members updating your profiles to indicate where you are. You never know when help is just around the corner or finding some one to go riding with.

And since when did Stockers get sold and to whom?

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Hey squirts,

I tried the hammer just for you and no luck. I did get it to humm a very small tune though. Thanks for the idea.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Thanks sandcastcb750. I appreciate everyones help on this. Great days to all. T...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.