Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Rebuilt my starter, now I suspect I also have a solenoid problem. I thought when these were faulty you would not get any action out of them. I hit the starter and the solenoid has a solid "click" to it but doesn't spin the starter. The rebuild on the starter is fine because it will spin when I bypass the solenoid. I have also stuck a voltmeter on all contacts from the battery to the solenoid to the starter and I get readings at every junction. I am not prolific with this electrical stuff and thought before I go and blow $80.00 on a new solenoid, figured I'd toss it out to the boys in case there is something simple I'm missing.

Kyle

There are no stupid questions, just stupid mistakes

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Kyle, if you are getting a 12volt reading at the starter terminal when you press the button, then the solenoid is fine and the starter if faulty. Try bypassing the solly by running a jump lead or heavy cable from the batter directly to the terminal on the starter motor, if that spins the motor then the solly is at fault. Make sure of course that all the earth leads are grounded properly.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The starter does crank, by-passing the solenoid. I run my meter from the pos. to neg. on the battery, I get a reading. I get the same reading from the pos. on the battery to the starter.I get the same reading fromthe lead into the solenoid to the starter. I get the same reading from the lead in, to the lead out, of the solenoid, and I have continuity from the lead out of the solenoid to the starter. All in all, I seem to be chasing my tail. There is no difference in these readings by hitting my starter button other than the solenoid "clicks". My meter is set at 50 on the DCV setting. I feel there is no doubt that I need a new solenoid, but these readings I'm getting have me confused and I'm sure there is a simple explanation for it.

Kyle

Sometimes ustilizing a stupid stick is best for educating.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Kyle, it still has to be a solenoid problem. If the starter spins when you bypass the starter and you know the solenoid is clicking (starter button is fine) it's a solenoid problem. Just getting 12 volts isn't emough, you need to check the amps and you will probably find you are not getting enough at the motor.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Kyle,

It could be abad cable from the solenoid to the starter. Check it for cracks or broken inside. Could it possibly be shorting out on the frame somewhere?

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the input. Just got a call back and I'm heading out to pick up a new solenoid. The dealer wanted $80, but I found one I can pick up for $20. Not bad all around. $80 to rebuild the starter and $20 for the solenoid, the weather is good, so I should be out for a ride sometime yet today. ($1200 for insurance)

Serviced what's her name's Lincoln LSC and got it on the road for her for summer, serviced my Ford F250, listed two of my junkers for parts, and almost have the bike ready so it's been a productive day, but not without its glitches!

(AZ - I've got continuity in the cable from the solenoid to the starter. We'll see what happens when I put the new solenoid in)

Hava good one and thanks

Kyle

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

New solenoid is in. Had to peel the plastic off around the connector on the old solenoid as it had melted slightly and I couldn't get it unplugged. You know what you can accomplish with a little time, patience and vaseline. It's all good now, and thanks for your input fellas.

Kyle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.