Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Question---I am getting ready to put brushes, springs and a bearing in my '82 starter and am concerned with the gear on the end that drives chain. Is this a problem with keeping chain and all necessary components lined up or can I do my repairs with starter in place by just removing the end cap to expose brushes ect??? Just thinking before I start tearing stuff apart-------Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

I doubt you can do the repairs with the starter installed. But then there's no need to. I put mine on the center stand and pulled and reinstalled the starter with losing the position of the starter sprocket. It took a little wiggling and maybe a slight twist but it went back in fine both times. There's an o-ring around the starter where it goes into the case. I'd have one of those on hand too.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:It's really easy removing and replacing the starter and you shouldn't have to remove anythngtogain access. Use a 1/4 drive 8 mm socket with a uiversal, long extension and ratchet to remove the forward bolt. The aft bolt is the easy one to remove. When reinstalling put a light coat of oil on the "O" ring and also on the lip of the case. Put the bike on the side stand which will tend to center the chain and sprocket. Below is a forum thread from Jan. of this year with a lot of info about removing and replacing the starter on a GL1100.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=37079&forum_id=1&jump_to=371816

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

Take it out and do iton the bench. Too much hype was given to gear falling into engine case plus the book print mistake about having to pull the motor to change the starter. :cool:Keno

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Sorry, but still not clear on the gear -----does the gear stay in the case on the chain and just slide off the splined shaft or does the gear come out with the starter assembly???

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

the gear stays in the engine seated on the chain, jb

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

THE GEAR WILL STAY IN THE ENGINE CASE, IT WILL SLIDE OFF THE SPLINE STARTER SHAFT. IF YOU WANT TO INSPECT THE GEAR, YOU CAN REACH IN THERE AND TAKE IT OUT OFF THE CHAIN IF YOU WANT.
Later Rumple

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.