Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,
This 82'GL1100 had been sitting for 2 years.
Last week I was looking for another engine in the "For Sale" section because a friend of a friend told me that I had very low compression on all cylinders,the reading was 100,100,100 & 60.
I did my own compression test yesterday,the 2 cylinders on the right read 150 & 150 & on the left it was 135 & 135.A major difference from the first test.
The engine will not idle & sounds really rough,there is a knocking noise & the best way I can describe this knock is that it is very similar to a noise like the back wheel of a bicycle spinning with a piece of cardboard hitting the spokes.
I have ridden it up to 90mph & the noise goes away & drives beautifully,if I drop the revs in a higher gear or labour in any gear the noise comes back & feels like the engine is missing.
So at the moment I am getting nightmares thinking about it,can anyone help me with this please.....
Thanks Guys.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

When is the last time the carbs were synched?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi,
It could have been years since the last sync,the last owner had it for two years & only put up 100miles on it,I have 10 years of test certs with it & it shows that the bike has only done 2000 miles in those 10 years,the mileage is 29000,so 27000miles had been done in the USA.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

The reason I asked, I had similar issues with my 86 when I first got it.....bad idle and a pretty good knock. Ran strong on the highway though. I treated the gas with Seafoam, synched the carbs, changed the plugs, and the knocking went away.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

mikef wrote:
The reason I asked, I had similar issues with my 86 when I first got it.....bad idle and a pretty good knock. Ran strong on the highway though. I treated the gas with Seafoam, synched the carbs, changed the plugs, and the knocking went away.
Hi Mike,either your up late or I am up early:) I live in Ireland & we cannot get seafoam here,I have heard about this magic potion,the only thing we have here is called Pro-Boost,this stuff needs to be used carefully as it could burn a hole in the pistons,you think by syncing the carbs might get rid of this terrible knocking,I have heard of the name called "Death Rattle" could this be it,what a name:)

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I'm up late, pretty much a night owl. I know there are others around you that use something comparable to Seafoam, but the name escapes me right now. Maybe a PM to Wexy could help.

I try to approach everything quick and cheap to start. The knocking could be much more serious, but I would try checking the carb balance first. If it was used as little as you say, I would be very surprised if some carb cleaning and adjustments weren't in order. I am assuming you have already changed the oil and filter.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I have booked the bike into Wexy's shop next week,I couldn't sleep thinking about this knocking sound,so I thought I might get an answer here before next week,so I can get some sleeptime.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Good, then we're sure to get an answer......hope it's simple and reasonable.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I had that problem when one of the plugs wasnt firing. I oulled all the plugs and notived it rained the night before and the plug holes were filled with water. check that all your plugs are firing

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Your poor drivability is most likely carb related but carb sync is really only an issue when the bike is idling. If bike runs fairly well on the road at higher rpm then there is nothing seriously wrong with the bike.

There is some things that you can do. Drain the carb bowls ( you'll be suprised what comes out . Do a search on this site, for a self made Sea Foam ( I've never tried it as we can get the real product here.) I'm sure you have something similar in your country as this product is really just a solvent. You can set your idle at around 1050 and see if that helps.

Do a search on this site & the nakedgolwing site for info on putting bikes back onto the road after they've sat for awhile.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

cycleman wrote:
Your poor drivability is most likely carb related but carb sync is really only an issue when the bike is idling. If bike runs fairly well on the road at higher rpm then there is nothing seriously wrong with the bike.

There is some things that you can do. Drain the carb bowls ( you'll be suprised what comes out . Do a search on this site, for a self made Sea Foam ( I've never tried it as we can get the real product here.) I'm sure you have something similar in your country as this product is really just a solvent. You can set your idle at around 1050 and see if that helps.

Do a search on this site & the nakedgolwing site for info on putting bikes back onto the road after they've sat for awhile.
Hi,

Today I changed the plugs,the knockinggoes awayat 1200 revs & up,it seems that a good sync should do the job,I'll leave the carbs to Wexy's mechanic,I am waiting for new knees & it is impossible for me to get down low.I'll let you all know how I get on.

Thanks Guys....

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Clean and well balanced carbs cure 95% of all 4 cyl wing knocks. (My opinion) Many engines get torn apart just to find little internal wear when good carbs would have cured the low speed knocks. Usually the problem is the chain between the crank and clutch slaps around due to uneven firing. It makes a knock like sound.

John

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hi Guys,I got the bike back from the shop,there was low compression & no vacuum on both left hand cylinders & they have found out that there was coolant coming back up the coolant bottle,so my left head gasket is blown.I have ordered a new head gasket,what should I be looking for when the head comes off.....thanks guys

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.