Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

when I fired up my 1100 this morning I`m gettin a loud ticking noise ..sounds like its comming from the right side of the engine .

any suggestions as to what it could be .

the engine ran quiet yesterday ..this noise started upon cranking this morning .

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

I`m thinking right cam timming belt has jumped time when I started it this morning ....the right bank is running hotter than the left when I let it idle .
how much troble is it to check the belt timming ?

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

I`m thinking right cam timming belt has jumped time when I started it this morning ....the right bank is running hotter than the left when I let it idle .

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Id call it more of a tick than a knock ..seems to be in the right bank valve train . it is loud though I wouldn`t drive it like it is .
I let it idle a few mins and noticed the right exaust was hotter than the left ..noticeable difference
so I`m thinking the right cam belt may have jumped a notch when it started this morning ..it as running fine all day yesterday .

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,325 Posts
imported post

I really doubt that the belt "jumped".

Pop the valve cover off and see if anything is obviously broken.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

ol school wrote:
In the repair manual there are the instructions to replace the belts and that is how you check the timing of the belts. There are write ups on it, do the forum search bar, look in the workshop section of the menu and in the reference and FAQs forum section for instructions.
How old are the belts? How many miles on them? You have not listed the bike's mileage in your profile. If you don't know if they were changed, do it now. Looking at them is not a good check of the condition of them. If they break, big bucks to repair or get another motor as valves bend and break off and holes in pistons happen. Napa has belts and so does Rock Auto. Aftermarket belt numbers are in the ref/FAQs forum and also the GW tips section of menu.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

A timing belt should not cause a Tick unless maybe a piston hit a valve and bent it enough it did not fully close, but the bike should run very bad. How is bike running other than the tick?
Even if it were out of time a little, all the valves would still be properly adjusted just opening at the wrong time so should not tick.

May be a sticky valve.
Do you keep your oil changed good and have clean oil in it now?

I'd do as Dennis suggested and pull the valve cover. If you don't see anything obvious then rotate the engine by hand and look for a loose valve. There is a thread here somewhere for how to adjust the valves. I would follow the directions in the thread to just CHECK the adjustments, not reset anything just yet.
If you find just one valve is out of adjustment check that the adjuster is NOT loose and easy to turn.

If all seems well but a valve not adjusted correct I think I would run some Seafoam or Marvel in the oil and about 4oz (if full tank) of TC-W3 outboard 2 cycle oil in the gas, let it idle awhile till hot then sit awhile and repeat running it a couple times if needed.

Also I am thinking the right side rear has a mechanical fuel pump. While in there check that it does not have slop in the arm or drive. Never messed with the pump on mine so forget how it runs, but I have had pumps make a loud ticking before on other vehicles.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

OH, and checking the valve clearance should also tell you if cams are in time or not.
This would be a good time to check your sparkplugs too, pull them to make the engine easier to turn by hand.

Newday is correct if you do not know how old the belts are then they should be replaced, age hurts belts as much as miles do.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

FIXED ! it was the right bank timming belt had slipped 2 teeth . the bike had new belts put on 20,000 miles ago by the PO they looked cheap ( no name belts ), Honda belts look much better . I hear Gates belts are good to from NAPA
she`s purrrrrrrrring like a kitten now
its an all day job changeing the belts ,Mother Honda gave us alot of feathers to remove to get to the problem .
I`ll put the feathers back on tomorrow for now I`m pooped !

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Glad it was that easy a fix. Rock Auto has the best price usually on belts, just type in the Gates or Goodyear belt number.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.