Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well I finally took the plunge (with much persuasion from my son) to purchase thisone owner 83 1100. I want to thank the kind folks here who have taken their time to answer my previous questions aboutthe fork tubes causing the seals to leak. I opted to have them polished instead of replacing them. They have about 35 miles on them and are still dry. So thanks again.So now this brings me to my new issue of a fuel leak. It's from the left from carb into the intake tube. When I removedthe tubean once or soof fuel leaked out! Fortunately the intake valve was closed so I siphoned that out, cleaned her upandheaded formy computer for some comments and advice!I just had her out the day before for about 30 miles with no issues or leaks that I could see.I had put 4 gals of 89 in her before the ride. So thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction! JR

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

Welcome:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

I would think that the float needle is not shutting off the gas flow.

If you have not run SeaFoam yet, dump some in and take if for a long ride. Also shut off the petcock and let it set over night with a good dose of Seafoam in the tank.
If you have run SeaFoam, and still have the problem, you may be looking at tearing down the carburetors.

Even if the SeaFoam appears to help, you should shut off the gas before stopping the engine if you suspect there may be a float problem.

EDIT: My gl1100 runs just as good and gets better mileage using 87.

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Xackley, thanks for the reply! I've done some more research and purchased the Seafoam per your suggestion. I'm looking forward to good results and possibly a ride by this weekend. I'll let you how it works out. JR

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
imported post

Yep, sounds like a stuck float/valve. Hopefully the seafoam will help. Also, keeping the bike on the center stand will help keep things level in the interim.

All these older bikes have occasional issues with fuel flow so it's good to get in the habit of turning the fuel off at the tank. I always forget to turn it on again and my first stoplight is right where it starts to gasp for gas every time!:cheesygrin:

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Homebru, Have you used the Seafoam produts? I have about 3.5 gals in the tank and am wondering if I should drain most of it out before adding the Seafoam.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

nope , i wouldn't drain it out. just add about 3 oz to the tank and ride it .
like others have said---fuel valveto the off position when parked.

spelling edit

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

wda, thanks for the input. I'll be testing this out in the next few days and post my results. Also have a clicking sound at the solenoid/relay that happens when she won't start. Only does it once in a while. I have a copy of the starter/clean rebuild and found some good info from sctrucker for testing the ssytem. Can't wait to see it all work! Thanks again for your assistance. JR

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Keep an eye/nose on your oil to be sure its not getting loaded with fuel .
Give the left side carbs. a good tap on the bowls to loosen up a possibly sticking float and run the Seafoam through it to clean the carbs. Be sure to follow the directions on the Seafoam can .

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

One important thing is to remember to turn off the fuel petcock whenever the engine isn't running. A slow leak in a carburetor float valve won't affect the running of the engine but can sure fill the crankcase and/or cylinders up with gas. The float valves can never be relied on to hold back the fuel over much time, they're there for regulating the depth of the fuel in the carb bowl when and only when the engine is running.

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Machine Head, My plans are to add Seafoam to the engine oil prior to changing it soon. I'll be posting results as I get the time to do the changes. Thanks for your input! JR

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

better check that oil first, just give it a sniff, if it smells like gas then drain and install a new filter and oil before proceding

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

exavid, got the fuel shut off and will be using the seafoam soon. My hat is off to you and all the wingers supporting us new guys. Can't wait to post the good news. JR

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

sctrucker, thanks for the tip on checking out the starting system on my 83 1100. I was able to determine that my starter was the problem. So I removed it and cleaned it out put it back in and now she's starting better than ever! Next thing is a fresh oil change and a good ride. I appreciate all the help from you and the other wingers who have helped me out. JR

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.