Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How can you tell if it is a matter of correctbleeding or something else since this piticular model is hard to bleed? I have had no success at bleeding useing the common method. Then again it could be in the master cylinder. What's the best thing to do?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Since it's linked brakes, you need to bleed the front one that it's linked to first then the rear. I'd invest in a Mighty_Vac bleeder system for this. I bought one and it works great.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

The mighty vac or self bleeders work gret for this. as said before the front caliper first then the rear then the front then the rear , then the front again then the rear, until you come to completion. I had to do it 5 times in 3 days and the answer I got to my question is that this was normal. Linked systems are a pain.
With the one man bleeder screw all you do is fill the cyl and pump away then shut that one a quater turn then open the screw on the next caliper and pump away.

make sure to have a litre or more of brake fluid in case . i went through 3 small bottles.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It takes a bit of doing to get all the air out of the linked brake system because the brake line to the front has to pass up and over the head of the bike's frame. This more or less describes an upside down U which tends to trap air in the upper part. As already mentioned a vacuum bleeder can help. A Mighty Vac is good, I use one myself, but you can get a somewhat cheaper vacuum bleeder kit from Harbor Freight that works just as well. They also sell the Mighty Vac.

Vacuum Bleeder

Mighty Vac

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:On the '83 GL1100, which is the first year of linked brakes, the R/H front and rear are linked and yes it can be a pain to bleed. Just takes time and patience.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks to all.......Your info has eased my mind:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Put some teflon tape on the bleeder screws too. I tried the MityVac thing only to have air get in around the threads.

Keep at it, takes time.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

I am glad I looked here, but I have a front master cylinder resevoir cup that needs replacing. Where is a cheap place to find one?

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I got mine from crescent moon cycles
crescentmooncycles.com

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Happy Camper:)Went and bought the bleeder from harbor freight.....I now have brakes front and back.....the air that came out from the rear brake sounded like a dieing mans last breath.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.