Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It appears just under the pump where it mates to the valve cover. Can the fuel pump gasket be changed independent of the valve cover gaskets? Any issues on the remove and replace? I tried snugging up the fuel pump bolts last night and took the pics this morning after my 25 mile commute to work. A few drops on my right bootand on the concrete. Thanks very much for your input and suggestions. JR

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
imported post

yes the fuel pump can be removed with out taking off the valve cover. be sure to use a small amount of blue gasket sealer and also check the valve cover for any leaks around the fuel pump.when removing the fuel pump be sure to give it a twist to get it out and a twist to get it back in. don't force the pump back in. good luck!

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

It is probably the seal where the tachometer connects behind the fuel pump.
If it is the fuel pump gasket, you can just change that one. When reinstalling the fuel pump and with the kill activated, you may need to crank the engine a few degrees to get the pump to seat in easier. You can see the lobe that actuates the pump when you have the pump off.

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Bassmaster, can the old (is it rubber) gasket be used?

Drones, I was looking in the back and wonndered if it could be the tach sleeve. It looks like it is just pressed in. Any suggestions here? Thanks again. JR

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

I just had the same problem with my GL1100. The fuel pump gasket is made of plastic, and mine broke when I tried to take it off to check it. A new one, with some instant gasket sealant on either face, cured the leak. Getting the fuel pump back on is a bit tricky, the cam has to be in just the right position.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
imported post

It is just pressed in but there is a seal in there. I just changed mine this past weekend. They can be a little tricky to get out of there. I tried a pick and had no luck. Then I used a very small drill bit and gently worked it into the meat of the seal. You have to be very careful not to scratch the metal surfaces of the seal seat.

When I changed my fuel pump a couple of months ago, I made a gasket out of cork/rubber. It came in a sheet in a variety pack from the auto parts store. It has held up well.

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Andy, did you have to disconnect the fuel lines or can you leave them on and swing it out of the way? I have used 100% silicone before as a gasket "cement". Nice looking 1100 BTW!

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Drones, I will check the tach sleeve tonight to see if that's where she's weeping from. It's not a lot of oil but enough to get her fixed before Delmarva Bike Week here on the East Coast in 2 weeks. Looks like it will be a 500 mi weekend by time we're done!

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey JR,

I agree with Drones76. Mine had that little leak just like yours. Not much, just enough to bug me and to spread oil over the underside of the bike and your pants and boots.

When I was doing the water pump/fork seals/clutch, I looked into this too.

My local Honda shop did not have any seals in stock and wanted about $9.00 +tax for this if memory serves me correctly. I have a few O-ring kits around the shop and just put one over the shaft.

It was a bit harder to get the tach cable seated down (more pressure needed) in order to get the bolt through to mount the flange and keep the cable in place but was doable.

I replace that thick gasket that mounts the flange over the cam to run the fuel pump too. I didn't use any of that blue sealant. You should not have to if your surfaces are clean and un damaged.

Tim.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

drones76 wrote:
It is just pressed in but there is a seal in there. I just changed mine this past weekend. They can be a little tricky to get out of there. I tried a pick and had no luck. Then I used a very small drill bit and gently worked it into the meat of the seal. You have to be very careful not to scratch the metal surfaces of the seal seat.
To get the seal out go in the hole the cam goes in and pry the gear up with a screwdriver.

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Hey Tim, awesome picture that's worth a thousand words. Thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure exactly where it's coming from. And another thing I noticed (now that I can get her up on the center stand) is that the oil gauge window is completely covered. I wonder if there may be a little too much oil in her. Just changed it out recently (3.5 qt) And that may be the cause of the leak? Too much oil under the covers? Thanks again. JR

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

I'll bet it's dripping down from the 1/4" thich 2 bolt flange gasket that seperates the fuel pump body from the head, a small smear of High temp' Silicon gasket goo on both sides of it fixed mine, it manifested itself as an oily gear changer and footboard when riding it and at rest, when hot and cleaned up, an occasional puff of smoke from oil drippingonto the exhaust pipe from the rear right hand exhaust stud, once I'd figured it out it was a 20 minute fix. Mine even had a split on one of the bolt holes and it fixed that too, can't hurt to try!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.