Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys, I am wondering if it is possible to repair the front fairing by separating the outer shell from the inner one and replacing it. I have a crack near the right bottom screw. I have pulled off the trim a little but cannot tell if the "halves" will separate easily and completely. Thanks in advance for your advice! JR

Attachments

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
imported post

I think it would / might be cheaper/easier/faster to find a replacement.

if you want to keep it from cracking some more go in from the back put some fiberglass and abs glue on it. use the primer first.

it will be stronger than new. I've done several repairs/reinforcements on my fairing/lowers/bags and love the way this combo works

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

NO, I don't think you can separate the inner from the outer very easy. I think I asked before also and the answer was they are bonded and trying would probably break more than I needed to fix in first place.

The BLACK ABS glue works well for glueing stuff and fixing cracks. You can also make fillings from a chunk of black ABS pipe or fitting to mix in the glue to make more of a putty.

Works well, but getting the texture back and not showing the repair could be hard.
I've used the glue and putty to fix crack and breaks in my 82 1100 fairing and sand it down, but it's going to be cover in painted ares so won;t show later.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

You could use this..........http://plastex.net/

It will repair the crack and you will almost not see it if done right.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

As stated above..black ABS is the best repair..I would go in from the inside..force a toothpick or similar thing into crack to spread out a bit..then from the back force some ABs cement in and removed the toothpick the crack should close back up..swipe any excess off the outside and you should be good to go..note drilling a small hole at the end of the crack will help it not to spread but it looks like you've already done that..

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

I agree with using ABS cement to repair the tupperware. Getting at the back of that crack is the problem.

I did separate a fairing. I used a wood chisel as a wedge and drove it with a hammer. I didn't cut anything but used the chisel as a wedge to force the pieces apart. The bond separated at the joint line. The adhesive used looks something like liquid nails but is probably something more suitable for ABS. It is a thick film of adhesive as there are probably irregularities in the match of the two parts of the shell.

It will come apart but it takes some effort. Then you have the problem of getting it back together again.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
imported post

JR,

I had the same problem, only with more crackson my 82 1100-I. The problem is that the cracked pieceis not really plastic, but some kind of fiberboard with a coating on it.Everyglue-job that I tried looked terrible.

So, I made a template of that piece and had a piece of 1/8" black plexiglas made to fitat a glass repair shop(about $20, IIRC), then glued thatdirectly onto the cracked piece. Had the holes for the windwing supports drilled by the suppliertoo. I'll try to get you a picture of it for you tomorrow.

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I was considering a swap out but will try the repair first.Not sure howa crack like this started, no word from the PO. Maybe cutting in another pocket would work. You guys make this web site the best! Thanks all. JR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.