Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this project because of a broken speedo gear drive. So since I already had the front wheel off I decided to try something I've never done before and change the timing belts and pulleys. I followed Jim Saeger's awesome how-to for the pulleys and wanted to let everyone know that I could find the neccessary hardware at my local Lowes store. I decided to use his #6 method and go with the 42015 pulley and the 10mm bolt. With a little searching I was also able to find nylon spacers at Lowes that worked very well to adapt the 10 mm bolt hole to the larger 14mm bracket hole. I am including pics of the packaging so to help find them in the store. I drilled out the center of the spacer with a 13/32 drill for the 10mm bolt to fit. Then I simply tapped the spacer into the bracket hole which held nicely and cut off the remainder with a hacksaw and cleaned it up. You get 2 spacers to a pack for .92 cents. I decided to use flat washers under the bolt head and the nylon insert locking nut. Also used Locktite Blue on the threads. The metric bolt stamped 8.8 is the equivalent of a grade 5 SAE bolt. So I torqued them to 38 ft pounds. You can find this on line. Nylon is supposed to have heat resistant properties. I hope this has been helpful and feel free to comment or ask any questions and I'll be glad to do what I can. It's the least I can do for all the help I have received. Cheers! JR

Attachments

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GW! It's been great getting all this maintenance completed before the warm weather arrives in a few weeks. Just need to get her back together with some shiny covers. Cheers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.