Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought a 83 GL 1100 Aspencade a month ago that had been sitting for 3 years. It only has 18,000 miles on it. While out riding once in a while I hear a noise, mostly when I stop. Coming from the lower front area of the bike. It is coming from the engine. I have rebuilt the brakes.Could it be the water pump going bad. I know it is not good for bikes to sit for so long. Is changing them a hard job? Can they be bought after market, or is it best to get from Honda?

Thank's

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

First of all, with only 18,000 miles on an '83 it really HAS been sitting for a while. You need to do some serious maintenance. First off, replace the timing belts NOW. You need to do an oil change, and a coolant change before riding it anymore, if you haven't already. Best place to get a water pump is oem, but you don't have to get it from a dealer. It is not a really difficult job, but I would do some other things first before replacing the water pump. It could still be the brakes, or wheel bearings, forks or stering head bearings, how are the tires?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Yes a bad water pump can make a heck of a noise.
Drain the coolant and take off the outlet neck and check the impeller for play side to side and in out. If you have any play other than rotational your pump needs replacing.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Would probably help to provide a few more details. "I hear a noise" doesn't really tell us a whole lot. For all we know you could be hearing a screaming cat that got stuck to the oil filter housing, or maybe a rusty coffee can crunched up in the radiator.

Are you hearing a rattle? A tapping? A grinding? A hum? Someone singing the theme song to Greatest American Hero? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
Would probably help to provide a few more details. "I hear a noise" doesn't really tell us a whole lot. For all we know you could be hearing a screaming cat that got stuck to the oil filter housing, or maybe a rusty coffee can crunched up in the radiator.

Are you hearing a rattle? A tapping? A grinding? A hum? Someone singing the theme song to Greatest American Hero? Inquiring minds want to know.
Yeah, I heard a noise once.

Turn out it was the wind.

Then it just went away.

Far out, man.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

If the pump is bad there should be water dripping from the weep hole on the bottom of the housing..unless someone plugged it up because it was leaking, to sell it??? 18,000 or 118,000

Above is correct..take the lower elbow off then you can see the impeller if it can be wiggled at all ..bad bearings in there..new pump $80 plus $22 for gasket set and seals.. not hard but the whole front case has to come off..good time to replace timing belts too!

Might be squeaky tensioners?? put a wood dowel on the water pump elbow and then the time belts covers..where is the sound louder???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.