Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm a new member and I'll be darned if I can find info about this bonehead move of mine. plenty of warnings about not doing what I did but nothing on fixing the problem after it happens.

I removed the starter and dropped the gear and chain! Chilton manual says to pull the engine. Is there a trick to getting it back in without pulling the engine?

I've heard tipping the bike on its side may work or hanging it from the rear wheel. Fish it out with a coat hanger? I don't know!!!

Also, if I do need to pull the engine, how much time will it take?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum smuggler. RedWing will be along any time with the official welcome mat.It sounds like you removed the starter with the bike on the center stand and when you pulled the starter out, the sprocket and chain swung to center out of the opening. Carefully take the bike off the center stand and lean it onto the side stand. If all works well, the chain and sprocket will swing back into view. If this does not work, get a floor jack and plan to remove the engine so you can remove the rear engine cover and realign the sprocket and chain. Sorry about the semi bad news. There may be someone else on here that knows another way and I'm sure they will be along to offer help.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I do have a forklift and straps available if I would need to turn the bike all the way onto its side.

I'd also like to mention that after removing the starter I loaded the bike into the back of a truck and drove 1100 miles with it and that it has been bounced around and moved a quite a bit since the starter removal.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Try it the easy way first. If that doesn't work, plan on removing the engine to get to the rear cover. I don't see how leaning it over further than the side stand will allow would do any good.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

It is not terribly difficult for the mechanically inclined person who has the tools. First thing is get a manual I recommend the Honda manual but there are others on the board who have done everything necessary with a Clymer. I have never used a Chilton or heard anyone say how good it is. BTW what year and type is your Wing. Here is the link for the Honda factory service manual.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/search_service_owner.asp?Style=&class%5F2=AHC&mscsid=QQS62WMSP05M8GSNF41N346BQQLQ3D6A

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

Wait. wait.................before you remove the entire engine... (which is straightforeward , but about 8 to 10 hours... )   I have  read about at least one other 1200 owner who dropped the sprocket... and he got his back with a "Magnet on a stick " and a flashlight ... and maybe a dentists mirror ... I was only skim reading ... Set the bike on the side stand... maybe the tires on 1/2 inch ply, and the bike on the side stand.. and start fishing  with the magnet ...  This tool is  also made with the stronger ceramic magnets  for a little more $$$,  .... the only thing loose in there is gonna be that gear... so good luck.. ((  I have no idea how he got the gear back into the chain ,  but I would guess thats a job for the needlenose  pliers...)) personally, I would have the gear   tied up with strong thread  before trying to re-insert it into the chain ... SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

.... I guess the real Question is : ........ #1 .. did you drop the gear off the chain ?? see my suggestion of ceramic magnet on a flexi stick.. or  #2  did you drop the chain off its  upper gears  with your  1000 mile bumpy voyage...in that case... sigh ... you gotta remove the engine ..  Here is a .doc in html to help you do just that ...GL 1200 Engine Removal For Stator Replacement SilverDave  /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Smuggler, the 1100 engine removal procedure is in the manual and you'll need it for so many other things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.