Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys is it possible to lube the throttle cables without completely removing them? And what would be a good lubricant to use? I was thinking some thing that has graphite in it.Thanks in advance for your input! JR

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

A little engine oil in the hole in the bottom of the throttle cable housing. It's a sort of drain point but I manage to squirt oil up there and twist the throttle at the same time. It gets enough down the area to keep things smooth.

Just a word of caution. Some cables have a nylon lining and don't get on well with large amounts of engine oil.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

There is a lube called Dri-slide that works really well. I have gotten pretty good at shifting the carbs over enough to disconnect the cables and then there easy to lube. Just pick them straight up and let gravity do it's thing. First time I removed the carbs it took 5 hours, now I can do it in 30 minutes. I know you are looking for easier way, and hope you find it.

You might try a good lithium based spray lube and spray it on the cable near the carb and work them. The lithium with stick a bit more than oil in my experience.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Open the switch housing use spray can with a straw squirt slowly your lube in there..down the cable tubes, work throttle as you do it..look to see if it's leaking our the bottom end...done.

chain oil, silicon spray, wd40, ATF..etc. etc. everyone has their favorite..

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

There is a quick lube attachement block available at the bike parts dept.
It attaches to the top of the cable and allows a spray can of lube to shoot lube down into the cable. $15.00 or so.

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Yup that's how I used to do my ten speed shift cables. Remember those?

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

James, I picked up this beauty 2 months agoand I'm slowly coaxing her back to life. I just figured she would appreciate it! I know I willsince she's been sittin around for a few years. JR

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

JR831100 wrote:
Yup that's how I used to do my ten speed shift cables. Remember those?
Oh yes, I do indeed remember those. I owned several. I still have a 1973 (when it was bought) Schwinn Varsity in near mint condition, along with 2 Sting Rays and an Orange Krate. Must have ridden a milion miles on bicycles back then. No spandex, no helmet, no clipless pedals, just jeans, a t shirt, and tennis shoes. And that is the way I still ride.

As for the cables, I remove them from the throttle housing, and have a small funnel with a rubber hose that fits over the cable housing. I just pour the lube into the funnel, and leave it till it comes out the other end. I lube all the cables on all 6 of my bikes that way, the same setup fits them all. I almost always use LPS #2, but have used WD-40 with no problems. I go through about 1 gallon of WD-40 a month. Just used it to change 2 tires. It is not the evil stuff some people make it sound like. I have been using it all my life, and would be lost without it. I have never known of it damaging anything that any other petroleum based product wouldn't damage.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

Remove the upper "cap" of the throttle grip housing. Both cables and housings are exposed. Lubricate with a graphite for cylinder locks. Lubricates and helps keep out moisture. Three screws, five minutes.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:
Remove the upper "cap" of the throttle grip housing. Both cables and housings are exposed. Lubricate with a graphite for cylinder locks. Lubricates and helps keep out moisture. Three screws, five minutes.
If you are talking about powdered graphite, how do you get it to the other end of the cable. I like to use something that both lubricates, and protects the cable from corrosion. LPS cannot be used this way, as it is an excellent penetrant, and will leak out between the cables and the throttle housings. The positive side of that is when you have the cables disconnected, it only takes a few minutes to run out the other end, and it completely penetrates into the stranded cable.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Like glhonda says. The product to use is called Lock Ease. Available at most hardware and auto parts stores. It comes in aerosol and liquid. I use the liquid and add drops as quick as they drain in. I'd say try to get 10 in the pull cable and 5 in the push cable.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

If thats the way you want to do it. I am not satisfied until lubricant is dripping out the other end of the cable. But that is just my feeling on the matter.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

Watching with interest as my throttles getting a bit sticky and scaring people at red lights RB you're my man at the moment
Cheers

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Jerry, that's awesome! Hang onto those bikes if you ever get grandkids they'll love cruising down the street! Thanks for the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.