Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was just running my 83 apencade when it started ratting on the starter side of the motor. Then it stopped abruptly running. Oil level is ok and it turns over a little in gear(rolling the back wheel) but not completely. It is like some chain is in a bind or worse. Removed the starter to see if it was that chain but it spins backward like it should.I wanted to get some ideas before I go tearing into it. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Check to see if you have a broken timing belt, if so then be prepared to do a major overhaul of the engine or buy another one. Of course you could get lucky and just have some bent valves.

·
Administrator
26,155 Posts
imported post

Remove the stator bolt cover in the rear or the engine and check if the stator bolt has backed out.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I had the stator bolt rattle too, but not lock the engine. If somebody turned the stator the wrong way during valve adjustment, it will loosen up.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Found the problem when I went to back the plugs out. One would not move. DISASTER! The intake valve has broken on the number two cylinder and droped into the pison area. I pulled the head off and it is melted sideways into what is left of the piston. That is why it would move but not complete its stroke. These bikes are tough. It was running untill the valve physically blocked the piston's foward movement. One could probably remove the piston and and rocker arms and run it on 3 cylinders. Crazy! I am now on a "head" hunt. Thanks for your help, and I'll check the stator when I pull the engine just to be sure. I should probably post a picture of that piston too. It is a work of art.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

I bet it looks like someone threw a minnie ziljdian cymbal in the piston while it was runnin.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
The good news is that there are alot of parts/motors to be had.

My only question is why did the valve break?
Since it's the No.2 cylinder valve that dropped I'd be checking the left side timing belt, I bet it broke. Or the valve was way out of adjustment.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Good one Lon (weren't you there when it happened?) I know the valve faileddue to foreighn debree. A carb manifold screw had fallen in the valve assembly when the carbs were removed. This bent the valve slightly and deformed the valve seat. After that its like bending a piece of wire untill it breaks. That was an expensive screw!

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

new heads = $20
new piston = $50+
new seals kit = $100+
getting to see your friend's face when he realizes the sheer power of the 1100 is enough to eat pistons and valves for lunch YET still keep running = PRICELESS

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Lon, did you put that screw in there when I wasnt looking? Maybee it was a beer cap, I cant remember.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.