Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Have a 83 ASPENCADE 1100 and the speedometer does not work. shows a constant "0" but the tach works and the odometer does work also.. any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

:coollep:The Guru's will be along soon, but Have to ask

1. Has it been acting up-such as the needle jumping instead of running smoothly ?

2. Has the speedo cable come loose(this happen on my 82 Asspy)

There are a number of possibilities as I said the Guru's will be along shortly

:coollep::11brown:Winger 82

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
imported post

Winger 82 wrote:
:coollep:The Guru's will be along soon, but Have to ask

1. Has it been acting up-such as the needle jumping instead of running smoothly ?

2. Has the speedo cable come loose (this happen on my 82 Asspy)

There are a number of possibilities as I said the Guru's will be along shortly

:coollep::11brown:Winger 82

Hey W 82,

If its an '83 Aspy, it should have a digital dash. Mine does.;)

Does it have a digital dash, P29150?

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

:coollep:Sorry I stand corrected, Just going by word of mouth that the speedo's off of the 83's were interchangable with the 82 Asspy.

As I said the Guru's will be by shortly to fix us rookie's mistakes.

:11brown:Winger 82

·
Administrator
27,903 Posts
imported post

The speedometer and odometer run off the same sensor so that tells us the speed sensor on the front wheel is working. Troubleshooting in the manual does not deal with this situation but an educated guess is the speedometer LCD unit is bad or there is a problem in the circuit board. May times I have been able to repair circuit boards by examining them closely for cracked solder joints and remelting the solder on cracked ones. My eyes don't allow much of this anymore unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Yes it does have a digital dash...think this is the first year that they came with them. I found another dash to replace it with but the only problem is that the milage is way off....I have 27K orig. miles which match the title but the new dash shows 88K miles. not sure what to do about that too...

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

That's dashed awkward!

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Can't be the gear, the odometer still works.
Does the Aspencade use an electronic speed sensor or still use the cable type? My Interstate has the analog gauges so I'm just wondering.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

chris in va wrote:
Can't be the gear, the odometer still works.
Does the Aspencade use an electronic speed sensor or still use the cable type? My Interstate has the analog gauges so I'm just wondering.
Electronic

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
The speedometer and odometer run off the same sensor so that tells us the speed sensor on the front wheel is working. Troubleshooting in the manual does not deal with this situation but an educated guess is the speedometer LCD unit is bad or there is a problem in the circuit board. May times I have been able to repair circuit boards by examining them closely for cracked solder joints and remelting the solder on cracked ones. My eyes don't allow much of this anymore unfortunately.
;)this also would be my 2 cents worth. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I missed the odometer part, so, probably it the electronic readout. I wonder if it is the LCD as the zero is there. I have seen LCD bleed black.

A replacement dash is probably in order if the odometer works.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

Somewhat similar as the post heading, but slightly different symptoms.

This weekend I replaced the fork seals and all the other small parts on my '83 Aspencade. (Digital dash) When all was said and done and I test rode it, everything seemed fine. I left Monday for my work week (100 mile ride where I stay for the week... home on weekends) and I realized my trip meter got to .8 miles. Odometer is NOT working Speedo says zero. Yes, my set screw had fallen out on the speedo sensor.

I have replaced the screw. I am sure it is seated all the way down now. I noticed that when I had the sensor removed and spun the front wheel, the little tab inside did not turn... It sorta "jumped" I fear I may have broken the gear or something, but I am not sure exactly how it works. Anyway, even with the sensor and cable well seated, still no joy.

Is there a replaceable part? I have personally put 250,000 miles on my bike and it still runs strong... I just don't like driving around guessing at my speed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.