Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, All
I have a choice with what stator Rotor to use, So I am checking here , see if anyone knows the best way to go, what one I should use..

Picture One is a 1981 Stator Rotor

Picture Two 1983 Stator Rotor

Thank You

Attachments

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Hello, All
I have a choice with what stator Rotor to use, So I am checking here , see if anyone knows the best way to go, what one I should use..

Picture One is a 1981 Stator Rotor

Picture Two 1983 Stator Rotor

Thank You
Before I went anywhere close to doing anything like that, I would check on the three yellow wired plug at the front of the battery, even if it doesn't look bad, jump all three of them around it, there are a whole lot of ways on here to test them but If you ask me, the best & easiest is to get ahold of an amprobe and look for about 50 amps on each leg @ 3000rpm, in fact as long as they are within +/-5% of each other it's OK and don't worry about which one goes to which, it doesn't matter.

Alright, I guess I came in a little late on this one, I only just found out you're swapping motors but I still stand by my method of testing alternators!

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
Never saw any reference to it but I would assume the newer one is upgraded somehow.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chilidawg, I installed a new stator a few months ago in the 83' engine before it went bad,
Part of installing the replacement engine is there are a few parts off the 83' engine ( the 81' engine only has 26K mile the 83' has 106K) that I am going to put on the 81' engine, When I saw the stator rotor I wondered if there was a difference in them other then how they looked, Guessing Dave is right in that the 83' is an upgrade.
Again , Mostly wondered if anyone an opinion on if one may be better then the other , LOL just because its upgraded, does not always mean better.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Never heard of having to replace a rotor. Since the stators are all relatively the same, I think I would stick with the stock rotor.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx GLHonda, they are both stock, but I know when you mean ,one is stock to that year engine.. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask..

·
1,230 Posts
OK now that I'm on the same page. You Sir are joining a pretty exclusive club right here, few people have gotten this far without giving up on the bike, myself included, so I would be patient if you are looking for an informed opinion.
Personally, I would take a multimeter to the 3 yellow wires on each one and choose the most consistant Ohms reading between them, call the wires 1, 2 & 3 and go 1-2, 2-3 & 1-3 just like on a 3 phase motor, which is what it is, only in reverse.
Having said that, that '81 stator does look in good shape and it is the one that's supposed to be on the motor you're gonna use, wouldn't it just be the pits if you'd got it wrong, you're only gonna find out after the motor's back in, so if there's no difference in consistancy of Ohms, (not actual readings, consistancy!) I'd go for that one.
So at the risk of being tared and feathered as an even cheekier plonker, here is an awesome thread from A. N. Other forum that decribes AApples sojourn down this road, a long read but maybe it'll help you. Page 9 has a how-to thread.
http://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3722&hilit=stator
By the way, Dave is always right. I owe him more than one beer!

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chilidawg, You are right , the thing is, The stator it self is brand new, Just installed it a few months ago. I was only wondering about the stator rotor.
they are all compatible as far as that goes,
One rotor has a set magnets going around the inside and the newer rotor seems to be one magnet around the inside, was just wondering if one was any better then the other..

See I now have 2 engines one being the 81 and the other being the 83' Aspencade, The Aspencade engine has to many issues and I'm not going to mess with it this year.
what I am hoping to do is combine the best parts of both engines into one engine ( the 81') Put it all together and NOT have to mess with it again for a while , well that's the plan anyway hehe

·
1,230 Posts
If both rotors are different and both stators are different then that tells me that you ought to keep them together in pairs. You might get a light flat screwdriver, held at the very end and try and find some residual magnetism in the rotors, you might even be able to figure out with that if the configuration of the working metals in the two rotors are different, by the look of the difference in the stators there ought to be some difference in the rotors and separating them would probably be a bad idea. you don't want to be installing a mis-matched rotor and stator combination.
Now if you find more residual magnetism in one rotor and its stator has better consistancy in Ohms, then go for that one.
Other than that fella, sorry, yer on yer own! Good luck!!
But don't worry, someone who really knows will be along soon.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thx Chilidawg, The stators are all the same with the 81-83 other then the after market ones that are designed for more watt output.
As I said I was just wondering if one rotor may be better to have then the other..
Its going to be a fun project over all. Hoping to be back on the road by mid April .
Thank for your input .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.