Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello All,
Before I spent lots of time doing the research , I figured I would ask all the smart folks here.
Replacing the timing belt in my 83 , Does anyone know if it is going to be a simple R&R or do I need to do the research to learn any tricks or special things I will need to know ?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Not hard to do but best to read up to do all the setup do's & don'ts.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Go to FAQ section, several threads about changing the belts with explanations, pictures, videos. Just follow that and no way you could mistake!
P.S.
I've just noticed that you mentioned "replacing the belt". If you wanted to replace just one belt - I would advice not to do so. If you have a reason for replacing a belt (mileage or damage) then replace them both, no matter if maybe only one looks damaged.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

It is not a difficult job if you have a little mechanical ability . As already mentioned you can get all the info you need right here on this site. Just remember that there is more damage caused by improper timing belt installation than there is in timing belt failures......

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

THx Everyone , I will take a look at the threads here. and Yes I had intended to replace both .. :bowing:

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

There's a number of different belt manufacturers that you can use. I reused the cover
gaskets. Sometimes out-of-stock can be a problem. Make sure you have the belts in
hand before you take your bike off the road. I found it easiest to take the radiator off
as well. Some don't.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Great stuff - I'll be changing mine out soon as well. Just got this 83 GL1100 and want to replace the belts as a precaution.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
imported post

i glossed thru the instructions and was doing alright until half way thru, and with the belts off..

had a look thru the timing cover hole...

AND THE ENGINE HAD MOVED ..away from TDC...

went back to the instructions and dude mentioned that part

lotsa diff instructions out there, some more elaborate than others

the right side (from sittin on bike) cam cog wheel will shift when the belt comes off

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.