Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

HAS ANYONE EVER HAD DIFICULTY in adjusting the valves on an 83 or 84 Aspencade? Mine sounds good at idle, but clatters above 3000 Rpms. I'm about to go nuts. I believe M. Kramer had this same problem. I have the #1 cylinder on the compression stroke. I first do #1 intake, #1 exaust #3 exaust, #4 1ntake, Then Rotate the engine 1 complete 360 degree turn,then 2 intake, 2 exaust, 3 intake, and 4 exaust. Still rattles. None of the lifters are bent that I know of. I'm using the standard OEM Honda Guage Feelers. Any sugestions? Could it be possible that this F/O thought the #2 Cylinder was #1 before I pull the seat, false tank and check them.. I was thinking of riding it a few hundred miles then re-doing the valve reset.. It has plenty of power, but the rattling I cannot stand. By the way, The new gasket stopped the coolant leak into my oil.
Thanks Everyone for your help. On the carbs, The P/O had rebuilt them himself, so I just done a factory reset, 3 turns out, 1/2 in, one turn out, one turn in, watching my digital RMP meter. It goes in 20 defree increments. I set my Idle at 1000, 50 above the recommended factory specs. I am pretty sure I need a nanometer set though to do them right. As soon as my neighbor has the time, he is going to help (I hope)
Thanks,
David

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

dont set em to the low(tight) too much and hold the nuts when you tighten em down...yes you need a nanometer...you can get em for 20-30 buks if you look around...set to #3 and slap the throttle hard back to seat...each check with eng off...you can do em by ear but it might still be way off...spray the assy with some wd40 or?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

I was once chasing the clatter expecting them to be quiet like a car, decided it aint gonna happen.
I even tried adjusting them tight, still clatter, one or 2 on left side.
I've since adjusted them to spec and gotten used to it realizing it's just the ol' girl talking to me.

I'm sure there are others who have quiet lifters but I believe in my case it would take a new head assembly.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

A tappy valve is a happy valve.

Let 'em clatter a bit.........better than running them tight.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

When it comes to valves with a manual setting, better jingle bells than silent night. Set them to spec and enjoy the conversation.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks.
I was worried for awhile.
Sincerely,
David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.