Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Great Site

My '83 Gl 1100 has 50,000 miles on it . My gas mileage is only in the low 30mpg.
The bike seems to work well except when accelerating fairly hard or when going up long steep hills ,normally in 5th gear. After a few seconds of opening the throttle the bike will start sputtering and then will start dying out and loosing power. Black smoke comes out of the right exhaust. After letting off the throttle the bike will run normal. Both exhaust pipes are sooty and the spark plugs on the no. 1 and 3 cylinders which are both on the right side are sooty. Took carbs to dealer to have them cleaned. No difference. When bike is idling and the throttle is opened quickly black smoke comes from the right exhaust. Just wondering if this was a common problem . Any info would be appreciated before I start chasing ghosts.

Thanks

Lugnut

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Lugnut! :waving:

Sounds like the carbs need some more work.

I have an 83 Aspencade with just under 99,000 miles on it and my mileage is around 37mpg. Others on the forum get into the 40's. The smokecoming fromthe right side sounds like carbs also. It shouldn't be blowing black smoke like that. If it was blue smoke I would think maybe valves or rings, but the fact that it is black points at the carbs also.

I'm sure others who know better thanme will come along with some posts.

I would pull the carbs and do the work myself.There is lots of info and help on this forum for carb work! If you don't want to do it yourself, look for someplace (who knows what they are doing) with a good reputation.The dealer is the absolute last place most on the forum take their wings to be worked on.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Lugnut. You will probably get more responses to your question if you post it in the Technical Forum, this is just the general discussion area. Also your picture isn't showing as it appears too big, if you go to the FAQ section on the main page it will tell you the allowed sizes for images. What is the picture of anyway? :waving:

Anyway, black smoke is carbs, flooding and/or running too rich. You will have to start by checking the floats are not stuck first, if they are okay then it's time to set up the air screws. I think most gl1100 owners get at least mid 30s mpg around town and up to mid 40s on the open road.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Have you a clean air filter as well? Also some aftermarket air filter didn't work too well with the gl1100, they often didn't allow enough airflow and the engine would either just cut out or run too rich. I'd takle the filter out and run the bike for a shot while just to rule this out. And welcome to the forum Lugnut:waving::waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

I have the same problem with my 83 GL1100 A. I have had the carbs off and rebuilt all with new air cutoff. The only thing I did not replace is float needles. My mileage is also about 35-32. I am going to pull carbs again to see if that will help.

I have found 3 other people with 1983 Aspencades that have the same problem. It must be something on this model only. When I have elimintated the problem I will post the results.

LC

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I 'll start the bike without the air filter. Although it is new , it is an aftermarket part. My flooding problem has been coming on gradually and I am beginning to believe the float needles need replacing. I think I'll give that a try.

Thanks Guys

Lugnut

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

The float needles are a good bet, the chances of dodgy air filters still floating around are small. It was a problem 15 years ago and I doubt it is still one now.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I put new needles and seats in the carbs on the weekend.The floats seemed to be set too high which I thought may be my flooding problem. I set them to 15.5mm , measured from the the bottom of the floats to where the float bowl seats on the carb. Carbs were placed on their sides with float arm touching needle but spring not compressed.
The bike now runs too lean, idles and starts good , but needs the choke on about half way to work properly.
Did I set the floats correctly??
Getting frustrated!! :(:(

Lugnut

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Lugnut wrote:
I put new needles and seats in the carbs on the weekend.The floats seemed to be set too high which I thought may be my flooding problem. I set them to 15.5mm , measured from the the bottom of the floats to where the float bowl seats on the carb. Carbs were placed on their sides with float arm touching needle but spring not compressed.
The bike now runs too lean, idles and starts good , but needs the choke on about half way to work properly.
Did I set the floats correctly??
Getting frustrated!! :(:(

Lugnut
Lugnut, I show 15.5 mm on the 1100 & 21mm on the 1000 in my pocket notes so your 15.5 with the needle just touching the seat (spring NOT compressed) should be fine. Personally I set them to the high side of specs to get a little richer mixture across the board so would probably have used 15 mm. That assumes production floats, if yourcarbs have some oddball aftermarket floats then all is out the window.

As for your lean running problem. Did you do a proper idle drop adjustment on the pilot needles after the float re-set? IF not, those are probably quite lean at the moment. Probably do a new adjustment on the pilots or just open them all an additional 1/2- 1 turn & see how it runs.

Twisty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.