Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Looks like I fried my 83 GL 1100A engine, Found an 81 GL 1100 26K miles for $250.00
Should be a remove and replace without any issues with the 2 year different is this correct does anyone know ?
and I also have to install fork seals ( having a shop install the seals them self) Question is, Is there anything special I need to know with removing and re-installing the forks?
Thank You .. :claps:

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Yes, I am pretty sure it would be a bolt in. There was a little difference in the gearing between the models but it wasn't significant.
What happened to your 83 motor?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
The engine should bolt in with no issues.
You will however lose the higher gearing "Overdrive" of the 83.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Yes it will be geared a little lower but actually I think that is a good thing. The 81 Interstate I used to have was geared just right I thought. It would accelerate really hard and would get around 45 mpg most times. When passing at highway speeds you could just roll on the throttle and away you go... no need for downshifting unless you were going pretty slow.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Don't forget to remove the shifter switch mechanism from the '83 engine so you can retain the shifter position display found on the '83 Aspencade.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ThanK You Guy'd.
Bellboy, on my old engine, It looks like I have a blown gasket that got so bad it almost stopped the engine from running, I was just going to rebuild it , but came across this engine and with 100,00 miles on my old one and the new one for only 250.00 it was a no brainier hehe

Anyone know, would it be worth it to change the gears or just leave well enough alone.
Thx Silicone Sam, was wondering about that switch, Had hoped it worked by just plugging in to the wire harness like the 83' ,,
Guessing there is nothing special on the front forks,
As always you guys are GREAT ....
Thank you ..

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
The '83 Aspencade switch has positions to detect all 5 gear positions and neutral, and all the other GL1100's '80-'83 has only a neutral position detection.

They have different plugs too. 2 wires versus 6 wires.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
The '83 Aspencade switch has positions to detect all 5 gear positions and neutral, and all the other GL1100's '80-'83 has only a neutral position detection.

They have different plugs too. 2 wires versus 6 wires.
They use the same front cover which you can just swap the covers if your water pump is newer? Or you can swap the gear switches by pulling the front cover as they are inside.

You would have to spit the cases to change the gears over, big job and lots of money to pay someone to do that.

If you only have a blown head gasket, might be water in the cylinder causing hydrolock and the motor will not turn over until you remove the spark plugs and then turn it over to expel the liquid(kill switch off) You might only need a head gasket.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Figured that about the gear switch, Will have to chance the outside case and Yes my Water pump is new ( only 4 months old)
Changing gears looks like a big job and I would do it, If its worth it as far as the engine running better, but if its not that big of a deal as far is performance goes, why bother and really, how fast does anyone need to go anyway hehe
Head gasket is blown, thing is, the engine has 103K miles so if I am going to replace head gasket, then I will get the heads done and rings and so on and so on hehe.
figured about 1k in cost, so this new engine at 250.00 saves a lot of work and much less expensive over all.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Head gasket is blown, thing is, the engine has 103K miles so if I am going to replace head gasket, then I will get the heads done and rings and so on and so on hehe.
figured about 1k in cost, so this new engine at 250.00 saves a lot of work and much less expensive over all.
At 103K miles a Goldwing engine if not abused is just broken in and good for an additional 2 to 3 times that mileage.

I'd just do the head gaskets and valve stem seals and ride it.
You'll be money ahead and have a known good engine unless there's something you're not telling us.:?

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No Ken, there is nothing else.. Just thought it would be cheaper and easier to install an engine with only 26K..
Been my experience with engines that have a blown head gasket, there is a good chance of head warp and things of that nature, Plus it just seemed this engine was tired, I didn't abuse it , but a few times it did run out of water and get hot before I realized it had a water issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.