Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good morning all!! I am brand new member to this forum, and I must say, I am impressed with all of the knoledge on display here. I have already picked up some good info on topics related to my problem. If I may, I am going to start from the beginning with my problem and hope someone has, at the very least, a starting point for me. It's going to be kind of long winded, but I don't want to miss a detail that might be important.

OK. I moved to Greensboro, NC., and instead of driving my truck from ANCHORAGE, I decided to buy a 1983 1100 ASPY. I love the bike, but it had been sitting for a bit. At first, the bike ran well enough. I rode it 3 miles each way back and forth to work. Because I never got it above 45 mph, I had no idea there were problems.

OK, fast forward. After I started riding it for longer distances, Ibegan to noticewhat appeared to be cylinders not firing. By pullingplug wires,and using ainfrared thermometer to check exhaust temps,I determined that, in fact, when I first started the bike, I was running on only 2 cylinders; 2 and 4. Then after a few miles, #4 dropped off too. So, I took the carbs off the bike and decided to rebuild. Well, at that time, Mr Randakk was on vacation, so I wouldn't get his rebuild kit for a week or so, and as this was my olny transport, I decided to clean as best as possible, and reinstall, adjust, sync, and then see where I was. I filled the carbs with pure seafoam and let them sit for 24 hours to soak, then started the disassembly. When I got the carbs apart, I was shocked! The bowls had a bit of sediment in them; not too bad. I pulled the main jets and cleaned; again, not too bad. I pulled the float needles, and then the filters. OH DANG! #1, and 3 were so gunked up, I could see why they weren't firing. So I cleaned and cleaned. When putting the carbs back together, I adjusted the float height to 15.5mm. I useda bench sync method I had read about on another forumto get the sync in the ballpark. I got everything back together and reinstalled on the bike. After a couple of start attempts to get fuel back into the bowls, she fired right up. Idle was pretty smooth, and all 4 cylinders were roughly the same temp. After warm up, I accelerated, and although a little sluggish off the gate, she was smooth and strong above 1800-2000. I was pretty stoked! I rode her for a week or two. She seemed to be OK; I could hear, and feel at hiway speed, every so often it felt like she was getting a shot of fuel, because she would get a shot of power. We're talking just a shot, maybe a second or two. So I finally get my sync set up assembled. I warm the bike and set the idle to 950. I check #3 and at idle it is oulling 4.5 in. So I set #1 to 3. I check #4 and its at like 7-8 in. Iset 2 to 4 and then bring 4/2 down to 4.5 in to match 3. On the road test, she starts off fine, but after a mile or so, I can literally feel each cylinder as it drops off! Finally, as I make it to a side street, she dies completely. I sat for an hour or so, and still nothing. I left it overnight, and the next morning I came back and reset the carbs using the bench sync method. It started, and ran long enough to get it home. Now she is sitting in the garage. She will fire right up and run. But if I ride it, I get about the same mile, and she shuts down again. I am considering removing the carbs and sending them to Pistol Pete, or Randakk, let them rebuild and sync them, and I can reinstall them. I am curious to see if anyone can give me some guidance as to what to try before sending them off. Sorry this was so long. Thanks. Jon

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Sure seems like a fuel delivery issue..at speed..floats to low? basket filters clogged again ..if you didn't clean out the gas tank you maybe sucking new crap into your carbs every time you run the bike. Clogged fuel filer? you could set up a temporary fuel source(bottle) hooked directly to the #3 carb and see if she runs any better at speed.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

RB, Thanks for the reply. I did clean/ derust the tank and replaced the filter. I am thinking that the lines might have the same gunk in them, so I need to replace them. I am going to remove and clean the carbs again this weekend. I am curious if the idle mixture is off. I get a strong raw gas smell, like it is running very rich.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the carbs mite be running rich. What do the plugs look like. A rich mixture can foul the plug to the point where you lose the cylinder.

steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.