Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've just put some 83 crash bars on my 82 GL1100 and the right side frontloop (the reason I bought them) is almost touching the the timing case, the left side has about a 1/2" gap, I know they are not bent or damaged at all and it could just be a product of the offset heads

So is this normal????

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Should fit the same on either year.
Did you compare the 83 bar up to the 82 bar before you mounted it?

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yes I did compare them but the 82 has no front loop to compare it with.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

the right side has been layed down on. its bent back. you can fix it by pulling it forward when its mounted on the bike. dont ask how i know.

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I respect your reason for knowing and don't want to know the details but if the left side was one crankshaft journal forward, it would be the same position so I'm guessing this is normal.

I'd really like to see a picture of the front of an 83 engine though just to make sure I don't have to shim anything out.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i`ll try and get a shot of mine. if i get out in the shop. been kind of busy in the house latley.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

It has to be said that the 1100 crashbars weren't always absolutely identical even on same model years. Honda changed them so much that there are often differences in the gaps.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

ok -- got the pics. first 3 are of my 83. the next is one of the r/s (83 c/bs on a 1000)

hope this helps some.

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

thanks man! Mine are just like picture#4 and right there rubbing up against the timing case gasket but look I ain't gonna worry about it, it all looks good and the only way it can become a problem is if the timing case expands when hot and I don't think that's the case, thank you.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

i put a set off a 83 on my 82 and didn't have a problem .The reason I did it is the 83 had the vertical bar that made it better fit for highway pegs

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Highway pegs where exactly the reason I changed mine out too, makes it possible to put them on the lower level when you cut off the rear loops.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Close only counts in Horseshoes and handgrenades....

They can be tight and valve adjustment seems to always require removal of the crash bars. If you have dealt with Honda parts, used or NOS, a large rubber hammer may be necessary to adjust.They vary from bike to bike and part to part.

The '83 bars are great for adding lights!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.