Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello Everyone, I own a '83 interstate. And was wondering if the fuel tank had a filter screen in or around the outlet, just above the fuel petcock ? Yesterday, it ran like crap and could not get any speed out of the bike!. I mean with throttle "wide open" it definetly acted as if it were starved of fuel. It would stall out, just for a second, then surge foward, then stall again. It did this repeatedly. I 'almost" made it home. but not quite!.. ended up tralering it..... So, i'm thinking FUEL FILTER!... Or clogged outlet screen ??? Spark is good. Anyone have this happen to them? If so, how was it corrected? [email protected] :headbanger:

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
imported post

There are round screens at the end of the fuel pickup pipes in the tank. From the petcock in the tank there are steel fuel lines that go to the bottom of the tank, at 2 differnt hights,for fuel pickup and there are round screens at the ends of these lines that are about 1 inch in diameter.

As far as you problem goesI would check your fuel filter that is on the outside of the tank in front of it and behind the carbs, leading from the petcock side to the fuel pump.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Fuel filter which is located under the tank at the rear of the engine might need replacement. Possible air leak in the fuel line or a fuel pump diaphragm sucking air could do the mischief. You could temporarily substitute a piece of clear plastic line between the fuel pump and #3 carb to see if air is being pumped to the carbs. One other easy check is to take the cap off the fuel tank when the bike acts up to see if increasing the tank venting will help.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well basicly there are only 3 things that prevent a gasoline engine from running... #1 air #2 fuel #3 spark... or suck, bang, and blow! My problem points to it being "fuel". Since Air and spark are availible. that only leaves one problem area to be concerned about. This bike had been stored and ignored for five years. i had the carbs cleaned and (supposedly) rebuilt. @ $45.00 per kit x4. and labor. There is light rust in the tank. (could have been worse) The present filter has lasted since i got it back from the shop in May. (shop installed)This time i may buy two inline filters!. Or is there a larger filter with more filtering medium that could be used. A filter like that could provide more flow and less restriction i believe.?? Know of any that could work? [email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Yes there are screen inside the tank maybe cleaned off by brushing with a toothbrush on a wire?, or blow air back up through the tubes from the petcock, note a weak fuel pump..ie going south can be a problem too. Or clogged jets or filter baskets inside the carbs..

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Had the carbs overhauled back in April/May.. There has been a inline filter on the bike since then. current filter may be completely plugged by now.? which is good,since it keeps crap from reaching the carbs.. i'll bet, that most of it came from the lightly rusted tank. And i have been using "Marvel Mystery Oil" mixed with gas at every fill up. in order to leave a light coat of oil in the tank. [email protected] Thanks for the tip about using a air hose..

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Rusted tanks suck and a very fine rust dust can does get through the stock filter but gets suck in the carbs filter basket..how do I know..don't ask.

I have clean and sealed my tanks with POR15 so far so good it's been two years..and I don't fill up between tanks I run it to empty..

·
storm trooper
12 Posts
imported post

You are in for a lot of fun. I had to remove my tank and clean it then rebuild carbs before i got any run ability back from the rusted out tank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.