Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, i set my idle yesterday (with the large screw) when it was cold to 950rpm the recommended idle speed, but after it warmed up it was idleing at over 1500 rpm. so i turned it down back to where it showed 950rpm on the digital tach option.

I am guessing by that experience that that large screw is actually for hot idle not cold idle, i guess im suppose to just use the choke till its warmed up?

any advise?

Also i did some of the othermaintenance. brake fluid, coolant, oil, tire pressure, air filter, rear end grease, lubed the rear axle using the provided grease zert.

I also emptied out the crank case breather which i thought that i had cleaned out end of last summer but i guess i did not (i had not been riding much this year) when i pulled the hose off of it about 1/4 quart of oil spilled out all over the floor lol, so i guess it was full to the max and then some. I emptied the resivor. I dont suppose that would have hurt it any running it that way (for as little as i rode) with it completely full like that?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i believe you`ll find that idle speed is set when the engine is at operating temps. (950 to 1000 rpm)
the catch bottle--- i empty mine at oil change time. some times there is more , some times less in it.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Wayne is right, better to set the idle when the engine is warmed up.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

A great way to set the idle speed is to Prop Open the gas tank door... This enables you to reach down adjust the idle over the course of a long ride, and verify that it's working while warm... eg Just keep adjusting it at every red light you're stuck at, until you find a happy home for it.

I find this works better than trying to set it in the garage, because the bike's temperature is never the same there as during normal riding.

Also, use a sharpie marker to draw a line halfway across the dial... It will help you visualize (especially when using gloved hands) any movement of the adjusting knob.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
A great way to set the idle speed is to Prop Open the gas tank door... This enables you to reach down adjust the idle over the course of a long ride, and verify that it's working while warm... ....
Works nice for a 1500.. he has a 1100..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.