Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good morning fellow wingers, let me start off by thanking all who have assisted me with my previous questions. My 1100 is running great! Took it to DelMarVa bike week and put on 580 mithat weekend! Now for the bling. I would like to install a volt meter in the blank spot on my dash. Any special connections going on? Are all 1100 prewired for these? Thanks in advance for your support. JR

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

The Hondaline volt meter came with the connections JR. You can still pick them up on ebay.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

Hey JR,

I've been thinking about doing the same, wheres your blank spot? I've had a non working clock centre of dash just under the screen.

I had a search for the hondaline voltmeter but didn't find any

Bo

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Here's mine. Hard to read in direct sunlight but it works great. I wired it directly to the battery as the ACC connector was showing about .5v less.

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Bo, I would like to install a honda voltmeter in the right side of the dash. I have seen them on E-Bay and was wondering if I can swap the blank for the vm. Do you know if the wiring is in place for the connect? Thanks, JR.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Best bet is to pick off the 12V for a voltmeter from a circuit that's both protected with a fuse and switched on and off with the ignition switch. That way you won't have that slight parasitic draw added to that of the radio and clock.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

Hey JR, anything electrical is a dark art to me especially as I looked on in horror as an electrician ripped out my car immobiliser in minutes cutting wires everywhere. I was hoping to pick up the info from the help you get.
Thanks for the tip exavid cos I was thinking of wiring straight to the battery

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

JR831100 wrote:
Good morning fellow wingers, let me start off by thanking all who have assisted me with my previous questions. My 1100 is running great! Took it to DelMarVa bike week and put on 580 mi that weekend! Now for the bling. I would like to install a volt meter in the blank spot on my dash. Any special connections going on? Are all 1100 prewired for these? Thanks in advance for your support. JR
Here is where I put mine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

On my '85, I put it in the panel on the right (see attached). You can pop that panel out and drill the hole easily. I connected it to the marker lights on the side (I might have added those as aftermarket) so it is fused and switched. I wasn't so concerned with if it was 1/2 volt low -- it's more to see when there is a problem. When I saw that it stopped charging (normal 15 volts dropped to 12) I knew there was a problem. After lots of questions and some research I discovered a very corroded connector which goes to from the battery to the stator. This is the primary cause of stator failure on those bikes -- the connector corrodes, forcing the stator to put out gobs of voltage to try to jump the bad connector. THAT'S why they failed so often -- no problem with the stator, the corrosion in the connector created the problem.

And because I had a voltage gauge, I was immediately aware of it before it destroyed the stator. I cut out the connector and hard-wired the whole works, then ran the bike another 12 years with no more problems.

Put in the voltmeter, it will save considerable angst down the road!

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

TrikerBo wrote:
Hey JR, anything electrical is a dark art to me especially as I looked on in horror as an electrician ripped out my car immobiliser in minutes cutting wires everywhere. I was hoping to pick up the info from the help you get.
Thanks for the tip exavid cos I was thinking of wiring straight to the battery
No problem, I know you fellows in the UK have difficulty with electrical things after I bought my MGA back in 1960.:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Lucas Electric -Prince of Darkness, inventors of intermittent windshield wipers, intermittent headlamps, intermittant ignition...:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

That hurts, serves you right for buying a little under powered car when you had all the muscle and pony machines over there
Probably the same reason I bought a 440 challenger lol

DWLarson eyesights not to hot nowadays but is that an altimeter you got there? How high you flying

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

TrikerBo wrote:
That hurts, serves you right for buying a little under powered car when you had all the muscle and pony machines over there
Probably the same reason I bought a 440 challenger lol

DWLarson eyesights not to hot nowadays but is that an altimeter you got there? How high you flying
Firstly, we're gonna need a little more info on the 440 Challenger, i.e. pics and such.

Secondly, I thought the other gauge was an altmeter, and he was really trying to keep an eye on the charging system. When I saw the sign in his avatar, I figured it was an altimeter, and I bet it works pretty hard located where he is.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

Mine was the good looking one in the centre taken at a record label launch.
Ended up selling it to a UK band called Primal Scream who used it in their vid.
I loved it but it was a money pit as they all and my wife wasn't too keen on being thrust out into danger everytime I wanted to see if it was good for an overtake.
Would love another muscle car but they are silly money now

And it flew at ground level

Attachments

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

exavid, thanks for the help this time and the last. Still looking for the dash on e-bay. The center section on mine was mauled when the po installed a cb speaker. Ditched the cb from the left pocket, took off the antenna. I"ll post some pics when I have her installed. Thanks all and ride on! JR

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

Bo, your eyesight is plenty good -- that is an altimeter there. I do a bunch of running and some camping in the Rocky Mountains. It's just nice to know how high you are, if you're getting close to the top of pass, etc. It was especially nice for camping -- I can tell how cold it will get at night. In July camping at 7500 ft it might get down to 50 degrees; at 9000 ft it could be 40. And 10,000 or above? Brrrrrrr... so mostly curiosity. I wish I had kept that altimeter when I sold the bike. I've tried to find another for my '96 but they don't make them anymore. Now everything is GPS.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

JR, if you have the Clarion Model II radio installed in the fairing, then you have the wires to hook up either of the Hondaline volt meters available for the '82/'83 GL1100. There was an analog and a digital in the day. You will see both of them on ebay from time to time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Here is the analog version.

Attachments

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Jack, those digital gauges are awesome! I did not know about them as I have only seen the analog on e-bay. I do have the Clarion AM FM radio installed. What is the gauge on the right? I'd love to pick up a set of those digitals especially with the thermometer. JR

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

That is the cb channel JR831100

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.