Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Custom Turn Signals for Naked 83 GL 1100

I have stripped down my 83 GL 1100 Interstate and have made it pretty much into a bobber. I added a headlight assembly and brackets, cut my original seat down and had it covered, and now I am trying to hook up some custom turn signals. Is there anything I need to know about replacing the original turn signals? These are 3 wire turn signals so they will work as running lights and turn signals in the front but the rear are also 3 wire and I only need 2 wire for the rear. Is this going to be a problem? I appreciate any help. Not exactly a wiring guru. Thanks, Tony

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
If the rear lights are red wire them like the front (more tail lights is not a bad thing) if they're amber then just use the brighter filament of the two.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have stripped my GL 1100 down and have had to replace the front and rear turn signals. My question is, do I use the hot wire running to my tail light for my rear turn signals as well? I appreciate any help. Thanks all:smile2:

·
Administrator
24,354 Posts
No, the turn signal wires are orange for left and blue for right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dave. I can't seem to get power to the rear blinkers just using the two original wires. My new turn signals have 3 wires which are black, red and brown. Any ideas? Thanks alot, Tony

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry Ken. Didn't know this was a big issue, still a newbie here. Thanks for the heads up. Would have been nice if you also had an answer for my question. Thanks, Tony

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
No need to be sorry.

The reason for keeping it all in one thread is so that we can see the previous questions and answers instead of rehashing.

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Thanks Dave. I can't seem to get power to the rear blinkers just using the two original wires. My new turn signals have 3 wires which are black, red and brown. Any ideas? Thanks alot, Tony
Well, not having a wiring diagram for your lights, I will hazard a guess.
black = ground
red = turn signal
brown = running light
You could test it with a battery and see if that is right.

·
Administrator
24,354 Posts
Sorry Ken. Didn't know this was a big issue, still a newbie here. Thanks for the heads up. Would have been nice if you also had an answer for my question. Thanks, Tony
OK, first are you getting power to the front turn signals? The wires are all connected inside the box between the forks if you have not removed it. All the orange plug together as well as all the blue, green etc. The orange/white and blue/white are for the front position lights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.