Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

There has been several posts where there has been carb work performed resulting in poor midrange performance on the 1100 s. I am one of them. 1500-3500 rpm works crappy ,. Carbs were synchronized. Accelerating or keeping the revs up and the bike works perfect.
I know there are a lot of possibilities for the problem but I was wondering if anyone out there has had this problem and found a cure for it . If so, please reply. It could save some of us a lot of headache.
Problem only occured after carbs were rebuilt and installed.

Lugnut

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I can't help you Lugnut, but this reply will bring your query back to the top of the list for a bit where it might elicit a response from someone who's up on the GL1100.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

If I remember correctly the '83's had a recall to replace the carb slides.

They could be hanging up.

I don't remember if the carbs were "Teflon" coated to begin with, with a bad coating or if they were replaced with Teflon coated slides.

Might be worth a look inside the carbs to see what the slides look like.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I had the slides off when the carb work was done . They were not teflon coated. They seemed travel freely before the carbs were reinstalled. When the choke is pulled on about 1/2 to 3/4 the bike will perform well.
Would the choke being pulled on have an effect on the slide travel ?
I forgot to mention , this only occurs while under a load, not when running with the bike parked.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

Lugnut, You might check the accelerator pump to make sure it isn't binding. I had a bad pump and it acted similar to that under load, especially on a hill. Just a thought. Jim

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I would like to take this time to thank Old Gold for prompting me to check out the accelerator pump. I found out that it was working ok but when I checked my manual for clearance distances I deceided to read the entire carb section again. I noticed a diagram was different than what I assembled . I am embarassed to say that when I installed the carb slide spring, I put it on the under side of the slide instead of on the top. I changed them around and needless to say I won't make a boat anchor out of her after all.
IT WORKS GREAT

Thanks to everyone

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

Glad you found the problem. I'm practicing to be a GURU. :dance:Even when I'm wrong it works out. :cool::cool:

Ain't life grand????????????????????????????????? Later, Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.