• Stock 4 carb set up

• 1 carb conversion

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Naked GL1100
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike has been running choppy/sputtery, spark plugs were black, rode it around and it even idled smooth, got home, parked it, took plugs out and made the discovery, put them back in and now it won’t even fire. My issues are:
1.I don’t know if I’m adjusting air or fuel with the mixture screw/jet
2. I don’t know how far out to turn the mixture because of the carb conversion
3.I haven’t tested the voltage yet on the spark plugs but I feel like I could hear them sparking more prominently before, and now I don’t hear them, wires and plug caps are brand new.
3.The clutch is def around 30-40% life left, could this have anything to do with my problems? I don’t have any maintenance records from the past owners so idk how old the clutch is.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,998 Posts
Are you sure you got the wires back on the right plugs? Have you checked to make sure you are getting spark on all the plugs?
It sounds more like a wire has been pulled loose.

·
Registered
Honda Goldwing GL 1100 SC02
20 Posts
Hi - I have a GL 1100 that I fitted a EMPI PICT 34 to and can help you if you have problems with that - If your plugs are totally sooted up they wont fire and often even if you clean them that wont work either, you should replace them after checking to see if you indeed have a spark at all - let me know if you have and I can tell you more about the carb kit, stick with it, they are a great improvement

·
Registered
1983 Naked GL1100
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Are you sure you got the wires back on the right plugs? Have you checked to make sure you are getting spark on all the plugs?
It sounds more like a wire has been pulled loose.

Hi - I have a GL 1100 that I fitted a EMPI PICT 34 to and can help you if you have problems with that - If your plugs are totally sooted up they wont fire and often even if you clean them that wont work either, you should replace them after checking to see if you indeed have a spark at all - let me know if you have and I can tell you more about the carb kit, stick with it, they are a great improvement
Replaced the plugs and bike died trying to start, stil no difference in starting behavior. Will update on spark when charged

1 - 5 of 5 Posts