Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first post here. I actually ride a VTX1300C, but I'm working my way towards a 'Wing. I'm doing research for my dad.

He recently bought a 1983 GL1100 Aspencade. It only has 42,000 miles on it. The owners manual shows that the previous owner was meticulous about maintenance. He logged everything. My dad has had the bike for a month now, and hasn't ridden much due to the colder temps, but he has been starting it and letting it run a while, once a week. He forgot and went two weeks before starting it, and it wouldn't do anything. The brand new battery was dead. He charged it and tested it, full charge. The bike still won't start. When he hits the starter you can hear a click (starter relay maybe?), but it won't turn over.

Any suggestions on what we should check?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
If he left the petcock on a cylinder may be full of gas..hydro lock..pull the plugs, turn stop switch to off..and turn her over..if gas squirts out yep...hydro-lock = leaking flood needles or bad seat or floats set wrong or crap stuck under a needle. ALWAYS turn the petcock off when the bike isn't running..

If still nothing try to jump starter directly ..pos. to starter stud..neg to engine block..from a car battery..just a touch will do.. If it cranks..bad solenoid or weak battery most likely. You may need to check the battery under load..at a battery place. try this stuff and get back to us..

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum Matt
As RB said check for hydrolock. Very common on the wings left sitting with petcock left on. Sometimes you can clear the stuck float valves with a couple raps with a large screwdriver handle on the Carb body.

Has he changed the gas filter? Napa has great gas filter by wix, #3011 @$5.
Could be hydrolock from leaking head gasket also.

What did he use for a charger?
Did you test the voltage with a meter? Results ?
Be sure and post back what you find.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Has the gas tank been inspected for rust and debris?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Welcome to the forum Matt.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
First things first, check the main 'dogbone ' fuse. They fail all the time and was the very first thing I replaced with a blade type.

Second make sure the switch is 'on'. Easy to overlook.

Check what the voltage is on cranking. Should be 10v or more.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
I'd have the battery tested to begin with. New batteries can and do fail. Verify that that dogbone fuse isn't cracked. If they test good then I'd focus on the starter parts. With the bike on the center stand and the plugs removed(put some rags over the plug holes J.I.C.), jump across the solenoid terminals and see if the bike cranks. If it does and doesn't spew gas all over the place, the solenoid is suspect. If it doesn't, then the starter is suspect.
The brushes may be stuck or worn out and the internal cable maybe has loosened. Try giving the starter a gentle rap with a hammer and try to start it. If it starts, the starter needs rebuilt. Most places that rebuild auto starters can fix it for you.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
You can also turn the engine over by hand to verify it's free. There's a cap on the rear engine clutch cover, remove it and there's a hex underneath it.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
You can also turn the engine over by hand to verify it's free. There's a cap on the rear engine clutch cover, remove it and there's a hex underneath it.
BTW, it's a 12mm bolt that has to be turned clockwise(lift up on the wrench). You don't have to go that much trouble. Just put the bike in 3'rd gear and try to push it(with the ignition off). If it will move then the engine is free. It will easier to do if you have the plugs out.

I would find it unusual that the bike froze up after 2 idle weeks unless it's hydrolocked as mentioned above.

Hobie

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, here's what dad found. One cylinder was full of gas. The fuel couldn't be turned off, because the petcock leaked in all except the run position. Replaced the petcock.

After some tapping on the starter it fired right up. Turns out, one of my dads friends used to work at a place that rebuilt starters, and he said it would be no problem to rebuild it. Now we just have to figure out how to get the starter off. I saw a thread around here somewhere. I'll go look for it before I start asking those questions.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
If it does not have floor boards taking the starter off is real simple. Just unbolt the cable (careful to not turn the stud) then remove the 2 bolts, an 8mm wobble socket helps. Then pull it out to the front, hold the shifter down and it comes out without removing anything else.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Thanks

Because of your post and answers I found my problem quick. :claps: Starter wouldn't turn and it was just that, one cylinder had gas in it. Pulled the plugs turned it over, squirted my wife's car, :doh: and let it dry for a bit, then voilà, another year of of winging it lies ahead. :dance:

thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.