Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:(Hello from new member

I am new to this board and would really appreciate some help with diagnosing a problem with the carbs on my '83 GL1100I. I just had the carbs cleaned and serviced for the 3rd time due to the engine running rough. Each time, the bike runs great for a little while and then the problem begins to come back. I have noticed before and after they were cleaned that there is gasoline pooling at the bottom of the air box.The gas seems to come from the #3 carb. This occurs aftera ride, with the engine off.The float, needle valve and seat have all been replaced. The Air Cut-off valves have been inspected with two of them replaced. Carbs are synchronized. Can't figure out where the gas is coming from.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum ldifazio! :waving:

I've been lucky with my 83 Aspencade and haven't had any carb problems. Or, maybe it's because I use Sea Foam in the tank on a semi regular basis!:baffled: But, if you have had the carbs cleaned three times and the problem keeps coming back, it sounds like you might have another problem!

It sounds like you might have some dirt or rust in your fuel tank. Shine a light down inside and take a look. If you see anything you need to get it out. You may be able to drain the tank and use a vacuum cleaner to suck stuff out. It might be easier to remove the fuel gauge sending unit (under the seat) and get to it that way. Have you changed the fuel filter? If you see crud in the tank you might as well change it again along with the fuel line. If you find rust, do a search of the forum for "rust in fuel tank", there is a lot of information about how to deal with it.

If anything is in the tank, it might be getting sucked into the carbs causing problems.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

AZwinger is right about the rust/debris jamming up the float. However, in my case, i replaced the same parts, and it seems the float pin and the castings cause my floats to hang up sometimes. Occasionally, if i don't shut off the petock and i park on the sidestand, the floats stay stuck open. Are you sure the float is set correctly? As for the fuel leakage into the air chamber, that is due to the fuel seals between the carbs and the air plenum. They are smaller o-rings on the corner of each carb body where it joins the plenum. See the thread today on the 1978 carb problem.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

AZ,

Thanks for your reply. The last time I had the carbs cleaned, the mechanic noticed that the little screens at each float valve needle seat were missing. He installed new ones so I figure that they will at least prevent anything from getting to the float valve needle. Anyhow, I realized that no one had changed the fuel filter because it had only been installed months earlier. As you suggested, I changed it our anyway and found that the filter element was loose and had come apart where it was glued to the housing. The filter element also had a small hole in it.

I also, checked the tank. It appears to be in good shape with no debris in the bottom. I had lined it several years ago, when I first bought the bike.

I rode it yesterday and it seems to run fine. I think I need to put some mileage on it and keep an eye on it. It might be as mag had mentioned where the needle occasionally sticks when the fuel shut off valve is left on and the bike is parked on the side stand.

Thanks to AZWinger and magfor your help.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Are you sure that its gas that is pooling and not oil? Gas would evaporate as soon as you stop the engine and probably faster than you could take the air filter out. If it's staying pooled for a while and has an oily feel then it's oil residue. I'd drain the overflow tube and make sure the breather is not blocked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.