Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello,
My GL1100 has a choke lever mounted on the left side controls. I can use it to set the choke on but as soon as I work the clutch the choke shifts and turns off.
I tried tightening the screw on top but had no effect.
Not sure if this is by design or is there some way to tighten the lever so it stays put while I use the clutch?
-G

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

What year and model is your Goldwing?

My 1100 has the choke located in near the center of the handlebars.

My 1200 has the choke located like yours and did somewhat the same thing. It would creep off with no human intervention. I'm not sure if your choke control is like the 1200.

I loosened the choke mounting bolts and pushed the choke assembly tighter against the clutch perch. It pretty much stays in place now unless a lot of choke is needed right after starting. Then it creeps off part way.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I think it is intentional.. at least mine does that.. and I like it...

..on my 1500, if I forget it stays on.. on the '83 1100 it works its way off..

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
I think it is intentional.. at least mine does that.. and I like it...

..on my 1500, if I forget it stays on.. on the '83 1100 it works its way off..
same here on my 83 I .

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

If you take it apart a little you should be able to see the fitting is a compression fitting at the knob. If you can't make it stay, buy a new cable, they are less than $20. Works great for a LONG time after that.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

I believe its designed to gradually shift off, especially if you apply throttle. At least thats what happens with my 83 Aspy.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
imported post

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

·
Administrator
26,547 Posts
imported post

I fixed that on the 83 I had. Take the screw out and find a thin wave washer that fits over it,( I used to work on BMWs and have a good selection of those type of washers) grease the bushing in the clutch lever and install the choke with the washer on top of it under the screw head and tighten it down until the lever will stay in place. If I remember right there is a jam nut on the bottom end of the screw under the clutch lever.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hmm... a feature you say... :)
I probably would forget and leave the choke on. I do it in my car all the time!
I would like it to last a little longer than two or three pulls of the clutch though. I am in the city so its pretty clutchtastic here.
Thanks for the tip, I will try to track down a wave washer and see how it goes.
-G

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

Even in the foulest fall/winter weather I need the joke for less than a minute. Spring and summer I never touch it. Perhaps it's tune-up time?

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

the choke on my 1100 is a pull cable. You turn it to the right to lock it and to the left to release it.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Double R wrote:p
the choke on my 1100 is a pull cable. You turn it to the right to lock it and to the left to release it.
Yours is not an 83. Differnt by design and location. Only on the 83 1100.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.