Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ok. So I recently bought my first Wing about 2 months ago and have put 1600 miles on it.

Heres the problem.

It is so damned uncomfortable I cant ride it for more than a couple of hours at a time.

The seat bites me on the back side of my legs and puts my shorts into a permanent wad.

I have owned motorcycles of all sorts for most of my life. From mini-bikes and dirt bikes to crotch rockets and Harleys.

None where as uncomfortable as this bike is.

Hell, last summer when my wife and I vacationed in Bermuda, we rode two up for three days on a scooter and didnt mind it a bit.

Anyone else run into this??

Any ideas on what to do short of selling the thing???

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I had a 83 interstate, and put a ROAD SOFA seat on it and improved the ride 100%. You might want to check ULTIMATE SEAT on the net. Warning, they ain't cheap!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Sheepskin covered gelpads and sports underware or bicycle shorts for the long rides.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

I took the cover off a second seat and sculpted it with a 7" sanding disc (electric grinder). I made it fit me then had it recovered.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

Like what everyone else said, just change the seat, they weren't comfortable in the 80s when the bike was new and they don't improve with age.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
imported post

I turfed the briefs for boxers & improved my comfort 100%...I moved up to my 83 GL1100 from an 83V45 magna. THAT was an uncomfortable seat....the stock 1100 seat's paradise compared to the old V45. :)

All kidding aside, aftermarket would be the way to go.

·
Administrator
26,993 Posts
imported post

The 83 interstate I had I thought was more comfortable than my 1800. The seat foam was in good shape and I recovered it with a cover from http://www.motorcycleseatcovers.com/.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

A local guy put some memory foam and gel into the stock seat. It helps and I can ride for about 1.5 hours at a time. Then again, I have back issues and need to get off every so often.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Thanks everybody.

I think i'll try the gel/sheepskin seat cushion first.

Im not sure I want to start dropping $600 here, and $700 there on a $2500 bike.

If i can double my ride time with it for $125I can live with that.

Now if only I could figure out where to put my feet.....

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

Jim and Lee wrote:
Thanks everybody.

I think i'll try the gel/sheepskin seat cushion first.

Im not sure I want to start dropping $600 here, and $700 there on a $2500 bike.

If i can double my ride time with it for $125 I can live with that.

Now if only I could figure out where to put my feet.....
On my 83A I put some Kuryakyn Longhorn peg mounts and some large ISO pegs on my crash bars.I,m 6 ft tall and the help alot. Rode for 300 mi yesterday. I have a sheepskin mat on the seat and after 200 mi. it's time to slip the gel/memory foam insert in side it. Going for the gel shorts next. I was looking at them and the padding looks like it is just at the right spot. ;)

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

I did a 900 mile round trip last week. I am 6'2" and I have a set of cheap pegs on the lower part of the engine guards. I rotated between the normal pegs, putting my feet on the cruising pegs and resting my legs on the pegs and my legs never got tired. I have had trouble with Knee pain on other bikes, but I did not have that problem this time.

My butt was another story but I plan to put a sheepskin on it soon.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

My 82 GL1100 had a Saddleman on it when I bought it. I've done a couple 11-12 hour days on it without problems.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I too had the same problem with being uncomfortable on my '83 after just a couple of hours. So, I bought the Saddleman seat from JC Whitney and it really improved things. Plus, my bike came with footrests on the engine guards. I'd never ridden a bike with those before and it took me a few rides to get comfortable with them. Now I use them all the time.

Hope you get it sorted out quickly. Oh, BTW, as far as the seat, it took JCW about three months:shock::(to get the seat to me as Saddleman had to make it. I don't know if they keep any in stock now as I bought my seat a couple of years ago.

Regards,

Hobie

Attachments

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
I too had the same problem with being uncomfortable on my '83 after just a couple of hours. So, I bought the Saddleman seat from JC Whitney and it really improved things. Plus, my bike came with footrests on the engine guards. I'd never ridden a bike with those before and it took me a few rides to get comfortable with them. Now I use them all the time.

Hope you get it sorted out quickly. Oh, BTW, as far as the seat, it took JCW about three months:shock::(to get the seat to me as Saddleman had to make it. I don't know if they keep any in stock now as I bought my seat a couple of years ago.

Regards,

Hobie
I checked on the seat from JC Whitney.

The seat is only supposed to be for 82's and older.

Is that what you bought?

Did it fit properly??

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
imported post

Jim and Lee wrote:
Hobie1 wrote:

Regards,

Hobie
I checked on the seat from JC Whitney.

The seat is only supposed to be for 82's and older.

Is that what you bought?

Did it fit properly??
I have the saddleman seat on my 83 and it fits nicely. The one thing I do not like about the saddleman is you cannot move the seat all the way to the rear because the passenger mini backrest wont fit under the trunk. I also have a Utopia backrest installed in the saddleman, thats a must in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

For comfort on your height, foot pegs on the engine braces are the answer, also add a back rest. 100% improvement.
Good Luck,
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Jimbo83,

You can get a trunk relocation kit for your back trunk. You can purchase one or make one your self. Just do a search on “trunk relocation” in these forums.

Typicallyrelocating the trunk allows you to move your seat back all the way and still have ample room back there for people of a larger size.It can make all the difference in comfort for both driver and passenger.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

My seat is as far back as is allowed by the oem bracket. As you can see, it is right up against the trunk. My lovely child-bride says she is completely comfortable with it.

Buying the seat was one of the hardest decisions I had to make. It's a lot of money and if it doesn't feel comfortable, you're out quite a few bucks.

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

JIM and LEE I too have an 82 Wing with a saddlemen seat. Problem solved, however you can find gel pack and seat cusions on e-bay much cheaper.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.