Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question I have is will front wheel and rotors from a 82 GL1100 fit 83 GL1100 front forks, I can get a complete front end with out wheels any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I've read some thread here where owners fitted 83 wheels and rotors to 82 models. can't remember if they had to mod anything. You can find the threads and read up on it while waiting for someone who knows for sure to reply later.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
Yes it will fit.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Question I have is will front wheel and rotors from a 82 GL1100 fit 83 GL1100 front forks, I can get a complete front end with out wheels any help would be great.
The GL Standard and the Interstates have different rotors, wheels will interchange.
As to the forks... yes they will fit but the 83 has different brackets for the brake calipers than the 82 as they went to the anti-dive forks on the 83.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can get the brake caliper brackets with the forks, I was just wondering if the wheel and rotor from my 82 is a direct fit my 82 is a standard with hondaline fairing. I know the rotor are different but if my fit I would rather have the antidive front end.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only other question is it even worth changing the front forks is the anti dive better?

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still looking to hear anybodys thoughts on if its worth changing front end on my wing Is it worth all the effort or not?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
do you want to change so that you will gain "anti-dive" ? I suppose it helps in that respect . Is the fork assy your looking at from a standard/interstate or from an Aspencade ? If the "new forks "are Aspencade I cant remember if the rotors have a different offset , I know they also use a spacer . On the 83 Aspencade nearly every part of the front fork/wheel assy is specific to the Aspencade . Just so you are aware .

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
You didn't state why you want/need to do this.
Will you notice a big difference in the ride? Is that the question, you have? If so, you would do better just to rebuild yours with new bushings, seal kit, Progressive springs and fork oil.
The antidive will need the intergrated brakes to operate. That is why that was initiated onto the wings in 83.
If it's a matter of looks, your choice and the 83 will probably need to be all gone through too. They have a bunch of rubber seals on the antidive that have to be good too.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
I've ridden 1100's with anti dive and without. You are asking if the end result is worth the effort of swapping out your forks for the forks off an 83 with anti dive. And in my opinion....

Hell no it's a waste of time. Just rebuild that original fork system. You'll spend less money and have less headaches with getting parts to match up. The difference in the ride is negligible, especially when compared with forks rebuilt with Progressive Suspension® springs.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I run the anti dive at the min setting on mine, since notching it up seemed to stiffen (did stiffen) the damping rate. Almost changed to a 5W fork oil, then read up on it on a GL1200 forum.

Only other things that chaned on the 83 were that the lower tripple tree clamps use two bolts for the lowers, and the fork brace is integrated.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input got the answers I wanted,easy enough to rebuild mine not the first set I have rebuild.
Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.